ADVERTISEMENT

My son has cancer and I need some help.

Patrickthetiger

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2001
Cary, NC
www.biggamebus.com
I've Patrick and I've been a member of this bourde since 2001. You may know me as the BIG GAME BUS guy or the Auburn Florida Robot Man. At one time, I even contributed to @Jay G. Tate's bourbon fund as a PLATINUM SPONSOR of some fan fave features on this site. I even gave @Jeffrey Lee a very un-sober ride home from a Zazu/1716 NSD party!

Anyways, I'll try to cut to the chase-- my wife (Stacey) and I live in Cary, NC with our four kids. Our oldest kid's name is Henry and he's 9 years old. He was diagnosed with Stage IV Wilms tumor with diffuse anaplasia this year. Wilms tumor (nephroblastoma aka kidney cancer) is the most commonly diagnosed pediatric kidney cancer in the U.S. but is still exceedingly rare (~600 cases per year). Wilms typically has a very positive prognosis (as pediatric cancers go), but Henry's advanced staging and additional diagnosis of "diffuse anaplasia" make his diagnosis especially serious.

The volume of his tumor at diagnosis was 1.2 liters and occupied the entire right side of his abdomen from his belly button to his flank and from his hip to the bottom of his ribs. He has persevered through an aggressive five-drug chemotherapy regimen that started back in March of this year and will continue through March of next year. He's completed a month of daily radiation treatments to his lungs or his whole abdomen. He has recovered from two major surgeries, including the removal of his right kidney and primary tumor.

I and many other believe that we, as a society, don't devote sufficient financial or human capital to such a terrible disease. This effort is my small part to help with this tragic misallocation.

If you have kids, please donate. If you don't have kids, please donate. Your funds will hopefully prevent future posts like this from future desperate fathers.

Additionally, and not less importantly, Henry also wants to be the top fundraiser at Duke's Dribble for Victory Over Cancer on October 5th. If you're located in the Triangle, please join us! I'd love to be able to flex on the Dookies when a fellow college basketball blue blAUd takes the top fundraiser spot.

War Eagle!
Patrickthetiger
(aka Patrick Greene)

Please click here to donate via our Dribble for Victory Over Cancer team page.

ps-- you and I both know that this is a better investment than NIL contributions (sorry, Hugh). Per Bunker tradition, I'll fight whoever says differently.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Henry
Henry is nine years old and is obsessed with Minecraft, Pokémon, Seinfeld, reading, and spending time with family and friends. He is an amazing big brother to three siblings and enjoys snuggling with his dog, Ginger, or taking care of his three backyard chickens. He has been undergoing treatment for Stage IV Wilms tumor with diffuse anaplasia at Duke since March 2024. When at Duke, he is usually dressed to impress with his faithful Nintendo Switch in hand.

Like all smart nine-year-olds, he loves Auburn football and basketball because his dad does, too.

[I wrote this for the donation page and have reposted it here.]

It Shall Be Done

Many of the best and worst things in life aren't fully known to you until you experience them directly.

I don't want or expect you to know what it feels like when a pediatric cancer diagnosis hits a child that is close to your heart, or how it would affect their family. (Remember, I only want your money!)

Pediatric cancer (undoubtedly a "worst thing") became fully known to our family when our handsome, hilarious, and enthusiastically clumsy 9-year-old son, Henry, was diagnosed with stage IV Wilms tumor with diffuse anaplasia earlier this year.

Henry's life abruptly shifted from typical second grade life (two recesses a day!) into a relentless chain of chemo treatments, major surgeries, radiation treatments, more chemo treatments, medications for side effects, obsessive temperature and weight checks, unexpected ER visits (one due to an errant golf swing by his little brother), more medications, more admissions... The uncertainty of each day became our new normal.

Those hard days for Henry and our family also brought closer to each other and grew love and strength in our family. We were fortunate to receive some amazing support from our community, family, and friends.

But it has been and continues to be hard. Hard beyond anything that should ever be asked of a child. But even in the hardest moments, Henry's resilience shines so brightly—he still cracks jokes and insists on fifteen more minutes of Minecraft. He’s inspiring us to fight for better treatments and, one day, a cure for all pediatric cancers.

With your help, to quote Henry when he was recovering and regaining his strength following his biopsy and port placement, "It shall be done!"
IMG_0047.png

chemo-300-1.jpg
IMG_5332-1.jpg
visit-300.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.