ADVERTISEMENT

My lose review of the interception,

countrylawyer

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2003
I know and understand that some of you do not want to relive that moment over and over again. If your delicate psyche can handle it, re-watch the interception.

I also understand that we should have been running the ball more and that a pass play may not have been the best call.

But, I watched it a bunch of times, stopped the video, and tried to understand it. They rush 6 guys to our 5 blockers. One of the blitzing LBs goes at Payton untouched. The LB who intercepted the ball, too a quick step forward appearing to rush the passer, then quickly drops back into coverage over the middle. The blitzing LB barely touches the ball and makes it wabble slightly.

The WR ran a slant, and had beaten the CB. If the pass had gotten thru, it would have had a nice gain and probably a Touchdown as he would have been hit in stride. It appears to this fan to be a well designed hot route against the blitz.

But, it was unsuccessful because OK had a well designed defensive play for that LB to fake the rush, and drop back into middle coverage. Sometimes you just have to give the devil his due, and say the other guy made a great call and a great play execution.

It was a devastating play, sure. I hate it. But I understand what Payton was trying to do, and it was very close to a TD. If he get it off a little quicker, or arches the ball a little more, it's a big play for us.

I'm cutting him a little slack on this play. It wasn't as bad of a decision/throw than I originally thought. And give the other guy some credit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.