ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Malzahn and Scott Frost press conference

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
They're together this morning.

FROST says this "isn't an ideal situation for our players and our staff. I just don't know what the alternative would have been."

MALZAHN on Carlton Davis: "Carlton Davis will not play in this bowl game. HIs illness from earlier in the week has not gotten better."

MALZAHN on Stidham:
Says he's a great leader. "He was really playing his best ball at the end of the year when we were playing some of our best opponents."

FROST on how he got UCF moving again a few years back: Says it was getting them confident, "that they could prove that they were a better team that than record indicated. It's light years from where it was then. I look forward to watching them moving forward."

FROST on what he's been telling his team: "Good preparation leads to good play."

FROST on getting his team up for this game: "That's always a challenge. You try to manage your schedule between the last game and the bowl as best you can. A lot of teams that had coaching changes and faced some unusual circumstances ... are not doing very well. Hopefully, our guys are excited to play."

MALZAHN on his leadership from seniors: "Seniors going into bowl games, I think, are very important. They usual set the tones. Our seniors are locked in. We weren't happy with how we finished ... in the same stadium. We're in a really good position for the future — and this group set the foundation."

MALZAHN then lauds Frost for sticking with his team despite having taken the Nebraska job.

FROST on what this process will do for him personally: "I think the payoff has been being around these guys for another week. We tried to make every decision that we were doing the right thing. It's certainly not ideal to be wearing two hats and flying back to two places. The right thing is to be here for these kids."

MALZAHN with what happens with Carlton out: "Like we've done in some of our rotations when Carlton hasn't been in. All of our other guys will be ready to go. Carlton is a great player. He's done a super job for us this year, but we have some experience on the back end."

FROST on what he hopes to show Nebraska fans tomorrow: "I think a lot of people have seen us play this year. These guys (Auburn) are as good as we've seen at almost every position on the field. When people tune in, they'll see a team that likes being around each other, likes playing for each other."

MALZAHN on signing day during bowl season: "It was different. It was challenging."

MALZAHN on UCF: He has wholly nice things to say about UCF. "They've won some close games; they find ways to win close games. That's the trait of a very good football team."

MALZAHN on turnovers: Notes that Auburn was weak in terms of ball security early in the season — and again at the end. "It's very important."

FROST on what a win against Auburn would do for their conference: "It'll help a lot until next year when everybody forgets about it."

FROST on Auburn being without Carlton Davis: "That's the first I'd heard of it; I'm taking notes under the table. I was hoping the list would keep growing. They have good players everywhere."

MALZAHN on playing an undefeated team: "It's a huge challenge. The good thing is that we have experience with it."

FROST on how important speed is at this level: "It's better to have fast guys than slow guys."

MALZAHN on that same question: "It's better to have fast guys than slow guys. We'll keep recruiting 'em."

FROST on his quarterback: "The kid is like a son to me and I'm really excited about his success."

FROST on how he challenged his team when he took over: "Coming in, I didn't want to give them a lot of rules; a lot of dos and don't. We had one rule: Do the right thing. If the coaches don't have to do everything, that means you have a strong organization. It takes a lot of courage to correct one of your teammates. It was an easy year for me to coach because most of the problems were fixed from within."

MALZAHN on jumping up from Ark State to the SEC: "The transition ... I didn't get a chance to coach the bowl game. That's something that was pretty tough. It's a whirlwind. We had to hire a staff, start recruiting, establish relationships with your players."

FROST on the RB talking smack about SEC speed: "We try to teach our kids to not say anything to rile the other team up. If we had a track meet tomorrow, I think he'd win. But we're playing a football game. I'm sure Auburn has seen a lot of fast guys with the teams they play."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News