ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Talent,or Lack of Coaching

NoogaTiger

All-American
Oct 10, 2001
So, tell me, it has to be one or the other.
Did we recruit poorly on Defense? Are none of the guys we recruited capable of making a tackle, covering a receiver, or rushing the QB? None of them? Saturday against TAMU I saw nobody beating a block, or making an effort to throw themselves into making a tackle, Nobody and Nobody.

Or,

Can we not coach up what we do have?

I tend to think the later.
Does Coach Malzhan ever visit the Defense, to tell them individually how much he needs them, how much he counts on them, how we cannot win, without them? Does he even know the Defensive players names? Do the Defensive players feel like part of the overall team? Are they putting in the effort to win?

If we have better talent than ULM, how did TAMU beat us much worse than a ULM Defense?

Something is rotten in Defense land, and Mr. Gus Malzhan better start addressing the problem. And the problem is either him, Ellis, or Talent.

If we have the Talent, then coaching is the problem, so maybe Coach Ellis needs to be on the sideline instead of his sky box.,

We have great coaches, by and large. We miss Rich Bisaccia on Special Teams.

No. 1, The obvious problem is we have too many holes in the defense due to personnel. All four of our defensive linemen are first-year, full-time starters because our seniors have went down the toilet: Owens, Wright, and Whitaker. Shame on them. None of the start.

No. 2, our leader on the defensive line unit (Carl Lawson) and our leader in the secondary (Jermaine Whitehead) haven't played. How good can you expect to be when two of your best players don't play?

No. 3, teams scheme against our 4-2-5 to force us into lining up in a predictable way. For example, we have to line up a certain way to quads and trips that make us susceptible to the run game. That is coaching.

No. 4, I cannot explain why we cannot tackle. But those guys from A&M were fast. They had a hard time tacking us in the second half. Lots of four and five stars on the field Saturday.

Reactions: coolbreezetiger
NoogaTiger gets it. Time for the rest of you to wake up, and realize Gus is not the Messiah.

It is difficult to win every game.....I think that it is true that the defense may have lost a couple of games.

Defense is an aggressive, emotional game. Coming out with emotion every game, never flat, is difficult for the best of teams.

As the previous poster noted, spread formations make a lot of space and open field tackling is a must. So is getting off of locks (a problem of late).

Most missed players from last year are Dee Ford and Carl Lawson. Daniels has not shown up with any kind of edge rush this year. DTs can get teamed up when they know you have no edge rush and without good pass rush even very good DBs can hold on forever. An emotional UGA team vs. an uninspired Auburn team had something to do with it.

Poor run defense against UGA I think just shows how good UGA is at running the ball.

As for our regressing offense... I don'r have a clue.

IMO

Reactions: coolbreezetiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT