ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL JF3 chatter

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
fXU6En5.jpg

@BryanMatthews and I discussed this on today's Rundown, but that's not a universally adored content item.

Question: What is the plan for John Franklin III?

Answer: That's still to be determined, of course, but it was intriguing to learn yesterday that Franklin was throwing either exclusively or mostly "easy" throws like screens. Maybe that's because his arm is tired from a full week of drills and he needed a break. Maybe that's because his confidence is shot and completing easy throws is a way to rebuild confidence. Or maybe this staff already has ample data when it comes to his ability to complete deep or intermediate throws.

Simply put, Franklin is an important player. Aside from Kerryon Johnson, Franklin may be the most advantageous player Auburn has on offense. (Kerryon lacks elite speed, but he's good at gaining yards in a variety of ways.)

As such, Auburn cannot afford to waste Franklin's running ability. If he's as good as we think he is as a runner, specifically managing the read-option mesh, he creates a lot of problems for the defense. He also makes things easier for the offensive line and for the tailbacks by virtue of the attention he will be afforded.

I'm suspicious of Franklin's ability to be a full-featured quarterback. His passing has been erratic everywhere he's been and Gus Malzahn needs a quarterback who can complete 10-yard out routes and other, foundational routes when they're needed.

Might we be looking at a two-quarterback system? It's certainly possible. Malzahn doesn't want that in an ideal world, but Franklin's ability to affect the game as a runner probably will demand more than a cameo role in the Wildcat formation.

I was intrigued by Malzahn's decision to keep the orange jersey on Franklin yesterday. Since so much of his value is concentrated in his ability to make people miss in the open field, I thought a live session would be good for him Tuesday. Alas, it was not meant to be. The most likely explanation is that Malzahn already has a good feel for what Franklin can do in the open field. Still, walking into a job interview and being forced to ignore your best skill, to pretend it isn't there, surely is unsettling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News