ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bobby Petrino no longer a 'WOLF'?

Eagle5

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Birmingham, Alabama
Most here will recall how in the wake of the Chizik ouster after 2012, there was a strong Bunk contingent who made a relentless case for Bobby Petrino to be hired, volleyball players, Jetgate, and Harley's be damned. I wouldn't have objected much at the time, as CBP's final 2011 season with the Piggies was stellar. The Razorbacks won the 2012 Cotton Bowl Classic in Dallas, defeating Kansas State by a score of 29–16. The Hogs concluded the 2011 season with an 11–2 record, with their only losses to Alabama and LSU. It was just the third 11-win season in Arkansas' 119-year football history. The Razorbacks also finished fifth in both major polls, their first top-ten finish in 30 years.

Petrino's tenure at Arky ended unceremoniously following the 2011 season with the fateful April, 2012 motorcycle accident on Arkansas Highway 16 that blew up the Internet.

Bunk legend, LB7 (whom I consider a friend, and very much respect, great dude, very high football IQ) coined the moniker "WOLF" to convey who Petrino is, and in part, how a football program must be willing to invite a wolf into the fold of sheeple in order to be the apex predator that can win and win big in the SEC. "Wolf" caught fire, and still has staying power. You'll also recall that failure to support a wolf hire following the Chizik disaster would earn you the Creed Monster label. We seem to form coalitions in head coaching hires that present challenges before, during, and sometimes, following the hire.

So the question which intrigues me is, did defensive coordinators simply catch up with Bobby? It would appear so at aTm, as they're 61st nationally in total offense, 41st in passing offense (268 per game), and have yet to post a signature W. Or is Jimbo so bad even a wolf can't overcome the poor head coaching?

Or maybe with age, at some point, every 'wolf' loses his deadly canine teeth, eh?

What say ye?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News