ADVERTISEMENT

@hunter48 opines on the OL

Mr. Coach Klein

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2020
I asked @hunter48 about how the new S&C program possibly translated to the OL production (or lack thereof) this season. I was specifically interested in whether our OL was so tailored for a HUNH style of play, that they are weaker at the point of attack compared to last year because of a new scheme. His response was as follows:

A combination of things. They are all 3 years behind in development for this scheme. They weren’t even being trained correctly for what Gus ran the last 3 years he was here. So physiologically they are first or second year SEC players. Now last season they averaged 4.7 yards per play on gap scheme runs, strong side down blocking with pullers coming from the weak side, but less than 3 on zone plays. Harsin’s/Bono’s scheme is almost exclusively zone, and they just aren’t good at that. Zone schemes demand the ability for a playside blocker to detach from a doubly team and climb to the second level, AU NEVER gets OL to the second level.
They don’t get movement on their doubles, and thus linebackers and safeties just run free and tee off on the ball carriers. When you have a mobile QB you can add in backside reads to slow that down by putting players in read conflict.
With Finley at QB and this OL the running game is dead against anyone with a top 30 defensive front.
Lastly, I think the emphasis in summer and fall camp was so heavily dedicated to pass protection improvement, that they took a step backward in run blocking. Almost a state of technical atrophy, per say.
Hope that’s something like what you were looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News