ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes

Henry Patton

All-American
Staff
Apr 5, 2022
Dallas, TX
We're set to talk to Hugh as the final week of spring practice kicks off:

• On Robby: "I thought Wednesday at practice he was fairly close to full speed, well enough to take full reps. Thought he had a good week." Mentioned that he'll be a full go today.
  • On A-day: "Spring games for us... I don't want to waste a day. The challenge for coaches is it can be a wasted day... you want to make all 15 of our practices count and it makes us difficult for us to do what we want to do."
  • Mentioned that they're going to give the fans a game they can enjoy, but that they don't know who they are offensively right now.
  • On the spring game format: "The defense will be given a selected number of points and I will start drives at various points... if the defense can hold the offense under a certain amount of points then they'll win. "
  • Today's practice will be contact. Wednesday's non-contact. Friday will be a walkthrough.
  • "We've tackled fairly well in the scrimmages. Offensively, I think we feel good about 2-3 run schemes." Mentioned they're still searching for consistency and what will be their bread and butter in the passing game.
  • "Truthfully, Wednesday was the opposite of Friday as the offense dominated the defense... we're nowhere near where we need to be on either side yet."
  • "When you have unrealistic expectations, they lead to frustration. I don't want anyone to be frustrated." Mentioned that they're going to be slowing down and huddling at times even if that's not their identity.
  • On the ILBs: "There's been some inconsistencies, but I believe in our scheme, offensively, the tight end room has the hardest job. Defensively, the same is true with the linebackers."
  • On Holden: "Solid. I think he has a real solid chance to be a solid quarterback. But I think the other two had good days."
  • On the rbs: "I think Jarquez is the best running back I've ever coached. Really excited about Damari. And Brian (Battie) adds a different dimension to that."
  • When asked about anyone who has caught his eye he mentioned Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Marquise Gilbert and Kayin Lee.
  • On what the qbs have improved: "Robbie's pocket presence, wider feet in the pocket. TJ is playing within the system. Holden's accuracy on down-the-field throws I think has improved. He's got to be still in the pocket, too."
  • On what he's seen from receivers: "Jay Fair and Ja'Varrus Johnson have had the most consistent spring camp." Mentioned that Camden Brown and Malcolm Johnson have been out a lot this spring.

• That's all for Hugh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News