ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes

Henry Patton

All-American
Staff
Apr 5, 2022
Dallas, TX
It's week three of spring practice and we're set to talk to Hugh. Refresh for live updates:

• QB's: "They're very coachable. It's all very new. I wish we were further along." Mentioned that it's not from a lack of effort from the qbs, rather, that the coaches can coach better.
  • "Hopefully we can coach it better this week... hopefully we elevate the play there."
  • On this week's upcoming scrimmage: "I feel like the running back room is a solid room for us. The last thing we want to do is hit them... we're going to get after it on Friday."
  • "This week will be a good test... we've got a long way to go before Friday."
  • On Camden Brown: "He scored a touchdown on a back-shoulder ball."
  • "The positions that have a long way to go are the quarterback room and the receiver room." Mentioned that a big part of that is how much they ask from their receivers and qbs.
  • Asked about evaluating qbs in practice, he said it's hard to evaluate qbs in spring practice: "I remember vividly when we got Malik Willis to Liberty ––there had been no significant snaps of him doing what we wanted him to do."
  • On the JACK position: "We need to recruit more. We're not where we want to be at rushing the passer... we've got to get better. We're deficient in true pass rushers."
  • Mentioned that it'd be great to have a Derick Hall and that Keldric Faulk can be that guy.
  • "I've liked their attitude, work ethic and willingness to be coached. I haven't liked their inconsistencies." Mentioned that getting the inconsistencies fixed is on the coaching staff.
  • On Keldric Faulk: "I think he's going to be a phenomenal player and I think he's going to play early... he's got to learn now, that position on our defense does a lot."
  • Mentioned that Tate Johnson is going to miss all of spring
  • "I wish we were all healthy, but there will be several that miss today, but it's nothing major."
  • On Jarquez and the rb room: "I think we've been pretty calculated with that and we'll certainly be calculated with that when we tackle on Friday... I've seen enough to know that he's really good and he's a quick learner... I'm really pleased with what I've seen from him... he's a difference maker."
  • On reps for all guys in practice: "We're rotating guys a lot... it's starting to get where putting three groups out there, it could be a load on people... it's gonna be a pretty good load to get all the reps we want."
  • Malcolm Johnson Jr. hurt his collarbone and is out for spring, but should be good by June.
  • "That's one group I feel we've improved from practice one to practice six... I feel Josh (Aldridge) has done a good job with those guys... we're deeper there than I originally felt."
  • Freeze on Justin Rogers: "He's a football player. He's gonna be a handful. He requires a double team. Been really pleased with how he works... he has a joy about him that's fun to be around."
  • On working with Philip Montgomery: "It's a process. I think it's going well, but I wish we were further along with our qbs on their inconsistencies with the RPO game... it's been fun to work with."
  • "I am hoping by the end of the week we feel like, 'alright, their eyes are in the right place, the decision making is there, is the execution?'"
  • "Right now we're having too much of the eyes in the wrong spot and decision-making isn't what it needs to be."
  • Asked about which hoop players could play football, he mentioned that Jaylin could play for him, Dylan could be a 4-tech, Al at receiver and Tre at safety (Does he know?)
  • Leaders that have stepped up according to HF: Tate Johnson, Jayson Jones, Elijah Mcallister and all of the tight ends.
  • "We've had an incredible past week and current week of recruiting... we're trending in the right direction in all of those things."
  • On pro day: "We've got three or four guys that we plan on getting drafted... you want to get it to where it's a big deal. It's a big deal anyways, but we want it to grow, how do we do that? You continue to recruit."
That's all for Hugh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News