ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-UMass)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as he previews Auburn's matchup against UMass on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Please follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Really excited that game week is here. There's been a lot of work to get to this point. Have to find out who we are as a team. The kids and the staff are ready. Excited about getting into a normal week. Excited about my first experience in Jordan-Hare Stadium (as Auburn coach).

*** "It's going to be magical experience provided we play well. That's the anxiousness we feel sitting in this chair wanting to deliver."

*** We've instilled since we got here that you have to rewire how you prepare. What is driving your beliefs is going to drive your behavior.

*** On running game being healthy vs. run defense being a concern: "I don't know. We will find out on Saturday. Are we an effective team running against other opponents or has our defense made us look that good?"

*** Right now JD Rhym, Nick Mardner, Jalen McLeod might be out. Robby is dealing with an oblique strain but will probably go. Nehemiah Pritchett is probably a go as well.

*** Hugh mentions he doesn't do depth charts. "It's really nonsense ... I don't care who runs out there with the 1s or 2s."

*** On UMass: "Well, I've played them every year. I saw drastic improvement last year under Coach Brown. Last year their record was atrocious but they had a top 10 defense in the country."

*** Mentions the quarterback and running back along with the two transfer wide receivers are explosive.

*** On his emotions heading into the game and getting prepared for it: "I really haven't thought about it. I soak in every game. We've played in SEC arenas even at Liberty. I embrace those opportunities. What I'm going to take in is one of the best atmospheres in college football. I've never had that before, no offense to any other place I've been."

*** On Thorne: "Most impressive thing is that he wants to have the mental part of the game totally down."

*** On the depth of running back room: "The facts are if you are able to run the ball, you can shorten the game. I think that would be advantageous for us this year."

*** Would like to see a clean game on Saturday. No pre-snap penalties or turning the ball over. No foolish penalties. And see them play with great passion.

*** On having tape on UMass: "It definitely helps. They are quite different on offense than they have been in the past. You almost wish you had more sample size." Hugh mentions the RPOs and shifts and that they will have more than that then they showed. Have to be aware of the QB both running and passing.

*** On Omari Kelly: "Love his energy. Love the way he practices. Loves the juice he brings to the field."

*** On special teams: "I'm more excited about that than I have ever been. I think we have two weapons that will be very, very huge for us." - on McPherson and Chapman

*** On offensive identity: "I'm never going to change what I believe it and I believe you have to be a threat to run the football."

*** On Griffin Speaks: "I think he has a shot to be in the rotation this Saturday. I know he is on special teams ... He's in the right spot at the right time. Knows the system. He's not afraid of contact. Wish he was a little bigger and faster."

*** On Don Brown's defense and why is it so good: "He gave me fits last year. We scored 42 points but it felt like 12. It was hard." Mentions UMass

That's it for Hugh. Happy Game Week, everyone!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News