ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-Oklahoma)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares to host Oklahoma on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** This profession is a test for you and the most disappointing thing is when you have to sit in front of the great fans you work for and have to face that you lost two games that you should have won, it stinks.

*** Congrats to Coach Pittman. He did a great job rebuilding his team and program. Got a few great additions.

*** It's still a game we should have won. Saying that, there's no better staff than what I have right now that I would want to be with.

*** Oklahoma got a spark in last week's game by bringing in their freshman quarterback.

*** On Arkansas game, I thought the defense was incredible. Two interceptions. Fourth down stop. Thought they played the ball better down the field. Take away Green's rushes and they didn't do much rushing wise. Got to be better containing the quarterback. Had some hurtful penalties.

*** Champ Anthony's surgery went well and he's in good spirits.

*** "I think there has been improvement, believe it or not."

*** Moved the ball effectively but turned it over on half the possessions.

*** Have to coach the quarterbacks and running backs better to be an effective offense. Going to look at every aspect of that. Mentions he, Kent and Jesse will work with the quarterbacks this week.

*** On offensive identity at this point: "Exactly what we are doing. 10 turnovers in 2 weeks. We are running the ball effectively. Have open receivers. Not sure why we would change that. Maybe call less shot plays."

*** On confidence in cleaning up the turnovers: "I'm always confident. I haven't met with the quarterbacks yet and listened to what they saw. If it was what they saw or was just a poor decision."

*** On leading the country in explosive pass plays: It's sickening truthfully that you are averaging 7 yards per rush and creating explosive plays and you aren't scoring the points you should be with that type of play."

*** Mentions it seemed Auburn couldn't get a break on Saturday whether it was instant replay or fumbling the ball into the end zone.

*** On evaluating QB: "It is going to be a battle this week. Going to see who can master this plan of all the defensive fronts Oklahoma are going to show us."

*** Thinks the ball intercepted off Thorne was catchable by Cam Coleman.

*** Says margin of error is so small right now on offense.

*** "I thought Payton played pretty solidly. We had five drives in the second half, one was the last kind of deal. Out of the four, he led us to two touchdowns."

*** Guy asks a question where Hugh had already given an answer.

*** On shuffling in the secondary: "Yeah, we're thin for sure. Kite and JC are going to have to play a lot of snaps. Gonna have to get Jaylen Crawford ready as a true freshman because we would really like to keep Keionte at nickel."

*** On Alex McPherson: "Alex, I'm leaving that up to the doctors. He's kicking some in practice right now. I'm not sure exactly what they are thinking. I don't think he has been out there kicking the 50 and 60 yarders that he is capable of doing."

*** Says Towns McGough has been solid, missed only field goal and that was in the rain and a tough ask.

*** The freshman QB for OU is a lot like we have faced the last couple of weeks where he can get outside and make plays.

*** On where you draw the line on getting guys in there that won't turn the ball over: "That's something we take in hand week by week. You think you can get out of those situations and out of those decisions. Certainly we can get out of committing a late-hit penalty. I think we are getting better playing the ball and not being as handsy in the secondary. We are going to keep believing in our young men."

*** This week, you are looking at Hank and Payton battling it out this week to see who can win the job.

*** "Can't expect more out of KeAndre Lambert-Smith, truthfully. We expect more from other guys. Robert Lewis had a tough drop. We need Cam to get healthier and playing like he did in fall camp."

*** "I told our staff this morning I love being in the fire with them. If you're not willing to be in the fire in this profession and this league, then you probably need to go and do something different. I love the energy they bring."

*** On studying Brent Venable's defense and why is it so tough: "I don't know who's calling the defense for them whether it be Brent or the young guy from Jacksonville State he hired that I faced while at Liberty and I was really impressed with."

*** Says he met Venables on vacation when both of their kids were really young.

*** Another question about turnovers: If you had 5 questions about turnovers on your Bingo card, you win!

*** Defense was on the field way too much and on short fields.

*** On offensive line stability: "Yeah, I thought they played well other than two pressures. Had some nice run lanes. Joiner and Tate and Ronan are still factors to play, for sure."

That's it for Hugh. Have a nice Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.