ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-New Mexico)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak to Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares for New Mexico this Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Like said Saturday evening, very disappointing in not finding a way to win what was a winnable game. I told people around here that Cal was a veteran, experienced football team. Thought Cal played at a high level. So congrats to their coaching staff and their kids.

*** Having said that, we are very disappointed in how we played and it's something we have to get fixed. That starts with me and our coaching staff. Defensively we played well enough to win the football game despite giving up too many 3rd downs in the first half. Auburn controlled the line of scrimmage which was good.

*** Didn't come up with any turnovers. DJ and his staff fixed issues as the game went along.

*** Defense and special teams gave the team a chance to win the game.

*** Offensively, it was an awful performance and just, we just have to find some consistency there and that's our job this week.

*** Mentions New Mexico with toe to toe with No. 20 Arizona. "It will be a good test."

*** On how his team responds: "I wish like heck we had morning practices so I could see how we responded. Did meet with our culture council and they said all the right things. One game can't define a season. I know that's the outside world, the noise that comes in today's time, your players hear all of that. That's a real battle you have to face."

*** "Our young kids, I don't worry about them at all. We just have to make sure that the older guys who have been through all of this respond."

*** On QB situation: "The struggle is really hard not to play a young man that consistently is the best performer in practice over and over and over again. His execution through fall camp and throughout each week has been better than the others. Having said that, you have to carry that over into games. I did witness him play some good football in big games last year. I've also witnessed the opposite."

*** Mentioned they had 3 plays where they had somebody running wide open and Payton Thorne missed them. Can't have that.

*** If that continues, we have to go in another direction.

*** Injury status: "Both Too Tall and Cam Coleman are questionable. I think Cam has a better shot at playing than Too Tall. Too Tall tried to come back in. MRIs on both of them. Nothing season ending. Probably be difficult for Too Talk to play."

*** The WR rotation wasn't really an ideal blend as they didn't have enough possession. "We never got into any kind of rhythm where we had a good rotation with those guys." Mentions doesn't like to play with just 3 guys at WR position.

*** On if he thinks they could have run it ball: "We were effective in the run game, averaging 7 yards per rush. We were effective to run it out of the 2-yard line and go into a basic offense and then we turned it over."

*** On offensive line plan at tackles: Probably have to move Dillon back out and Tate at guard.

*** On him saying he was hoping they were further along: "Us not executing the offense from the quarterback position, truthfully."

*** Offensive package won't be very big this week because of the lack of execution.

*** On giving Hank first-team reps: "I'm meeting with both of them individually and going through the cut-up reel. We will go from there. Hank will definitely get his share of reps this week. I expect both to respond the right way. It's not at the point where it can't just be the execution in practice that matters. It has to come in the game."

*** On Keionte Scott: "Keionte is still struggling with his hamstring. We just need him healthy and we need him desperately."

*** On if something could change from now to Saturday with QB situation: "Could it? Yes. Do I think I want to see how the week goes before I decide that? Yes."

*** "I think we have done a good job pass protecting when it's not 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12."

*** On balancing being patient and players making strides: "I can't expect everyone to be patient in this world. I said that is what is going to take for us to build it the right way. In time we will have a roster that will look like we can compete with the elite in this conference."

*** "I look forward to my meeting with him here in a few minutes and hear what he was thinking." - on Payton Thorne

*** On interior defensive line: "I thought statistically we have done pretty well against the rush. And we crashed the pocket pretty good on Saturday. That QB made some throws now even when getting hit."

That's it for Hugh. Have a great Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.