ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-Mizzou)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares to travel to No. 19 Missouri and take on the Tigers in Columbia.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Excited to get back into a game week. Much needed off week. Good for our physical bodies and our mental side. Disappointed to be sitting where we are record-wise. Determined that we have to play more consistent football in all three phases. Have two teams ahead that are playing really good football.

*** Mizzou has won 7 straight home games. I think Eli Drinkwitz ... some of the better coaching jobs is done when you have lesser talent as far as recruiting. Mentions Drinkwitz, Stoops and Lea. Drink is close to Hugh. Probably the guy he talks to the most.

*** Missouri has the best-skilled players Auburn has faced yet.

*** On emphasis during off week: "We had two practices. On Tuesday they attacked extremely well. On Wednesday it was energetic as you can imagine with fall break coming up." Focused on short distance plays on both sides and red zone. Trying to find their bread and butter. Probably don't need more, let's do less.

*** A physical off week and finding players who will give 60 minutes: "We were really physical on Wednesday. Knew we could be with the two days off of school. I'm really pleased with most of the team and their response to the disappointment."

*** On valuable off week was for self scout on offense/QB: "Self scout was as pretty good as its ever been. I think Payton has played well at times and we've struggled at times. It's there for everybody to see. As of late he's played pretty consistent."

*** On Payton Thorne conversation: Mentions Payton decided to change the formation of the back. That wasn't part of the process and we need to coach them better so that doesn't happen. Mentions Jarquez Hunter would have had an easy first down. Says he understands Payton's thinking there.

*** On the amount of running plays: "I think we need to get it to him (Jarquez) more. I don't know the averaged yard per rush, but that's what I am concerned about."

*** On playing a lot of young guys and the off week helping them reset: "We've been going since the first of August so that's a lot on everyone, including freshmen who are having to go through the grind of school and everything that comes with that. Coming after six games, that's as good as you want it to be."

*** On offensive line and this week giving you a chance to see if you have the right people there: "We are running the ball effectively. Pass protection has been dicey. Not at every position, but we are a team. We need to improve that. D-Wade has been playing time at both tackles."

*** Mentions Mizzou's D coordinator was with him 8-9 years and they have talked a lot of ball. "That presents its own challenges."

*** On Mizzou defense: "I see the consistency over last year and most of this year. Things can happen when you go on the road in this conference (mentioning A&M game)."

*** "This is a top 20 team, for sure, if not higher." - on Mizzou

*** On improving execution during bye week: "The thing that has been good is having time like today. We have most of the game plan in because we started last week. Now it's are we really, really sure, from everyone in this room, do you feel good about your kids executing this play."

*** On establishing consistency: "It starts with us demanding it in practice and that's become harder and harder doing things like we used to do. Second phase is if your team demands it. The best teams are the ones where you can take freshmen and say, 'Hey, guys, let me show you what this is really supposed to look like. Go watch these five guys.' Who are those five guys for them? I think that is one of the things we are struggling with is most of our best guys are younger guys who are trying to do it the right way."

*** On Mizzou's skill talent, especially at wide receiver and preparing the young pups against them: "Yeah, it's not one that you get overjoyed about."

*** Hugh is happy with the energy and preparation from the defensive staff. The buy in from DJ's leadership to everyone else, he couldn't be more pleased.

*** On keeping the 2025 class together: "Yeah, you can go somewhere else or come here and help restore a program that proves it can win a championship."

*** Balancing Payton and his freedom at line of scrimmage: "He didn't have a complete understanding of the play and that is our fault."

*** Hugh got to know Eli Drinkwitz through Gus. Friendship came pretty naturally. Think they have a similar mindset of what coaching should be about.

That's it for Hugh. Have a great Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.