ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (pre-Arkansas)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares to battle Arkansas this Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Excited about opening SEC play at home. Fans were incredible again last week, which is pretty stinking amazing. "I was prepared to cancel Tiger Walk but I saw all the people so I said we can't do that."

*** Good win. A lot of things to clean up of course. Need to build on it. Offensively 40-plus points is good. 15 explosive plays. Weren't great on 3rd down.

*** Sabotaged themselves on the red zone where they didn't score.

*** Biggest glaring thing was the number of penalties on special teams and defense. Hugh thinks that is the most yards one of his teams have ever been penalized.

*** Defensively, we seemed chaotic and unsure. Says NM had an open week and threw the open sink at them. Didn't think the effort was great from the defense.

*** Arkansas QB is one that will run around and make a lot of plays. The o-line is probably the most improved unit for the Hogs. Defensively they are very similar to what they were last year.

*** On Hank Brown and things to work on: "The game plan will be a littler different. I won't spend too much time after we clean this tape up today. Truthfully, he had three things we have to get corrected besides clock awareness. One was a poor choice on a roll-out pass. The other two were not necessarily bad passes, but there were better options."

*** Mentions Hank got the offense into the right runs 100 perfect of the time. "Pleased with his first performance for sure. This week will be a tougher test for him."

*** On adjustments at halftime on D: "I think DJ and his staff are some of the best at adjustments at halftime. But they don't lack in preparation either."

*** Said he thought the defense looked sluggish again. Doesn't know if it was the rain or the workload from last week. It was heavier last week.

*** On Brandon Frazier: "He's unfortunately having surgery tomorrow. It hurts us because he was playing at a high level for us."

*** On Cam Coleman and Too Tall: "Too early to tell. Hopeful, for sure."

*** On Kayin Lee: "I would expect to play. He probably could have gone, but we held him out."

*** "He's matured on handling out you go about things in general. He's going to play a lot of snaps." - Micah Riley

*** On rotating offensive line: "I thought we were really solid in pass protection. Very little pressure. Tyler Johnson gave up one pressure. The rest of the time I think Hank stood in there and made the right reads."

*** On run game blocking: "I thought Joiner did really well." Here's a little diatribe on the young kids and how they don't know anything about the entitlement thing, they just love playing for Auburn. Mentions Joiner, Coleman, other young guys. Said he once considered telling Joiner that he might need to go another place. "You don't have to worry about his passion when he puts that Auburn jersey on because it means stinking something to him."

*** On Bobby Petrino's offense: "I haven't watched them on offense yet. I was just watching defense yesterday and this morning. I did ask DJ if anything has changed and he said it is pretty similar. It's a good mixture of the pro style with some of the college flair in it and doing it a lot in big sets."

*** On Keionte Scott muffing punts: "The most important thing is we have the ball. That's getting frustrating. I've already met with special teams and we are going to figure out who the best option is back there." Have to get Malcolm Simmons some touches, but is he ready for that?

*** On running a 3-2 box and the advantage it gives: "It's only good against certain things. I don't think any of us believe that is the answer if we are playing against Arkansas."

*** What is the biggest threat Arkansas brings? "A good football team that is well coached. They look like an SEC team especially in the offensive line, running backs and tight ends."

*** On allowing some slack for Hank during this growing experience: "He's got to get the job done. He's got to play at a high level so we have to find what he can do at a high level."

*** "I've recruiting Hank since he was a 10th grader when I was at Liberty. I got to know he and his family really well. I've always felt like he had this 'it' factor. Every opportunity he got here, it seemed pretty natural for him. I've always had this kind of sneaking belief that he had something to him."

*** "Understanding what to do on every single call." - on what Malcolm Simmons needs to do to see more time in the slot. Talent wise, he deserves to be on the field some.

*** On Kaleb Harris: "We weren't even going to offer him but then I went and saw him practice. He's the most physical guy we have in the secondary right now."

*** Overall the secondary has to grow up. They are still handsy. Mentioned Crawford came in and looked poised in the fourth quarter.

*** Says he's selling to the 2025 class that they need some big time safeties and corners.

That's it for Hugh Freeze. Have a great Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.