ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (9-30-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares to take on Georgia in Athens this Saturday.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Saturday hurt our kids and staff and I'm sure it hurt our incredible fans. To have five straight home games, they have been marvelous. So have the students and band and cheerleaders. "Our kids felt gutted."

*** "We are judged on results and it is my responsibility to bring results to this program to restore it to glory."

*** "Makes it not being 5-0 hard to swallow. I just ask to stick with us through the growing pains because the results are going to come."

*** Sees the process being built but the results don't reflect it.

*** "I use that as a recruiting pitch. We will play you early." - on so many freshmen and sophomores playing

*** "I can't put them in those situations. I told the players afterward that they deserved to win this game." Told his staff it was one of the better game plans they have put together.

*** A lot of positives to build on from the OU game. Hope that carries over to UGA. Can't let the hurt from the loss carry on too long because they have tough challenges coming up.

*** DeMarcus Riddick led Auburn in tackles. Coleman and Simmons combined for almost 150 yards receiving. All freshmen.

*** "There's a lot of positives that don't match the results. But there are negatives as well. We are 16th in the SEC in time of possession. We are 16th in turnover margin."

*** Defensively, UGA is one of the best. Now we have to get ready for a UGA team that is loaded.

*** Great respect for Kirby and the job he has done.

*** Biggest regret from the Oklahoma game: Starts with the package with Sam Jackson. Truthfully regrets not giving it to Jarquez Hunter. Should have been 24-7 at halftime.

*** Second half, the two 3rd and 4's. Wish I would have run it and played it like two-down territory. See if we could get it to 4th and 1. And the 3rd and 4 pick six. In hindsight, we should have just controlled it and run it. That's what the film says.

*** On the freshmen who are playing: "We are recruiting kids that can make a difference." Mentions Riddick doesn't know what to do on half the calls but he is an athlete and he was able to run the quarterback down.

*** On just calling straight run plays: "That's a balancing act. There were a lot of runs where we did where it was handoff the whole way. Others we wanted the option." Mentions that OU is loaded with NFL dudes on their defense.

*** On goal-line situation: "I'm really disappointed we didn't score the touchdown there." Mentions Muskrat didn't go to the right spot and ate up two of our pullers, but that's on our coaching staff and me for not getting them ready for that.

*** On Payton's performance: "I told him after the game that he laid it on the line not for just our kids but our fans and program. He gave up his body. We have a "Oh Crap" rule where if nothing is there just put our foot in the ground."

*** On players being devastated and what staff needs to do: "Media is into this spiraling and keep them together. If that is a question about your team, then you probably are not going to have a lot of success. In life, you don't have a chance to spiral and have a lot of success."

*** "Sees this week as another great opportunity. Yes, it is a challenging October but we welcome those challenges."

*** On leaning on the defense: "Other than third and longs, they have really been consistent."

*** On Malcolm Simmons and light coming on for him: "I think, again, they are just young. It takes time. There's a process to developing. There's some that come in and are totally ready. But you are starting to see him understand a few more things." Mentions on bubble screens he can't just out run everyone now. "He's so fun to coach. He loves to be coached."

*** Perry Thompson had a great week of practice. Need to see him get on the field more.

*** "Should the fans expect more than a 2-3 start? Absolutely." He won't talk about the previous tenure. "We can talk about all those things but we are result-oriented. There's no way I can sit here and say that those games weren't winnable."

*** "We found a way to lose them in my mind." - on the 2-3 record

*** On young guys dealing with losses and message to them: "Welcome to life. If it hasn't hit you yet, if you haven't experienced the gut punches and tough losses in high school."

That's it for Hugh. Have a good Monday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.