ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (8-9-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze ahead of Day 7 of Auburn's 2024 fall camp.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** HF is really pleased with how sharp the team has been, which is shocking to him. Been a little inconsistent in special teams. Offense and defense have had good back and forth. The effort has been great. It's been a little too chippy and unproctective on a couple of days. Not sure how to balance that.

*** Stressing trying to practice cleaner, not having too many people on the ground. Had two days where some scary things happened where someone could have been hurt badly.

*** On offensive line depth: "We are forming some." Joiner has surprised him, truthfully. He's going to be a solid backup. Tate Johnson is practicing really hard. Feel really good about those two.

*** Not a lot of extra things after the play. Mostly the dangerous things have come during plays.

*** "I think Payton is gaining an understanding of my mind and Nix's mind and how we see this offense operating. He's had some moments where it make me go, 'Alright, that was smart.'" It's up to him to know what the fixes are.

*** Walker White has looked great on 7-on-7 but the game is a little fast for him in 11-on-11 as far as fixing protection. That's all new to him. He's pleased with all of the QBs to this point.

*** On D-line: "Until we get into the season, I don't know. Marcus Harris was pretty dominant. Do we have that guy? I don't know. We do have 5 or 6 guys that are playing well."

*** On the return game: "I doubt Keionte is going to return kickoffs. And I know Jarquez wants to be back there but I doubt he will." Keionte has been out with a small injury. Jeremiah Cobb is probably the kickoff returner as of right now.

*** JC Hart is having a good camp. That name continues to come up.Jay Crawford is coming on. Need Kite to step up. Terrence Love is coming on as well.

*** On changing coordinators who have more energy. "It was absolutely necessary for me to do that, for my sanity, for my health. I have to have help with that. It is contagious. The kids sense that. It gives this confidence."

*** Sort of wished he could get DK Metcalf or Van Jefferson on the phone to explain to players who need to redshirt how it was valuable to them.

*** "There are some that I think will even be NFL players, but I think it would be best for them to give it a year." - talking about redshirting

*** Dre Lambert-Smith has been solid. He's taken on a leadership role. So has Robert Lewis. Sam Jackson has some maturity that will hopefully help. Camden Brown is an incredible teammate.

*** Tossed Malcolm Simmons a little toss sweep and he looked like an absolute jet, went untouched. "We didn't have that weapon last year."

*** I am pleased with where he is at right now." - on Payton Thorne after a certain podcaster tried to get him to say something negative about Thorne.

That's it for HF.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.