ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (8/12)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
Auburn just finished up its first scrimmage of fall camp and we are set to speak with Hugh Freeze in a few moments.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** On offensive line play: "It was a mixed bag. I thought we ran the ball really well early on. I think the heat got to us a little bit. It's been a hot camp. I'm not an excuse maker at all but we have gone several days in a row and you could tell they were gassed." Mentions they have day off tomorrow.

*** Pass protection was pretty good early on. Defense dominated the latter part of the scrimmage.

*** Very pleased with the want to and the desire. Freeze is encouraged by where they are at this point of camp.

*** Receivers had an incredible week but not so much today. "We had some guys who had good catches today." Mentions some of the receivers were either loafing or running the wrong route on some RPO where the QB made the right decision to throw the ball.

*** "Take care of the ball and play within the offense." - on what he was looking for in the QBs today. Mentions that all three did that today. No turnovers today. "That was priority No. 1 today."

*** "Yesterday I had my mind made up but now I have to watch the film from today."

*** On running backs: "Pleased. Brian showed up in a big way today. Damari had some explosive runs. Jarquez was solid as usual."

*** Injuries: Steiner has been limited with hamstring. Koy Moore has not been able to go. Camden brown hasn't really practiced since Freeze has been here. Ja'Varrius had to have some stitches in his mouth. Malcolm Johnson and Austin Keys are dealing with shoulders, not significant though.

*** On defensive front: "They are playing like 15 guys it feels like and they are running them in and out. They dominated at the end."

*** On Jarquez returning: "It's good to have in back in the room. Good to have him back."

*** "We need them all." - on offensive guards

*** On pass rush: "Jalen McLeod and Stephen Sings have changed that for the better for us."

*** Mentions he is always big on creating adverse situations. Defense struggled with up tempo at first and then he called it off.

*** On secondary: "I think we need to tackle better. I think we are talented there with the first group and our young guys are talented but need to come on because we will need them."

*** On Damari Alston: "He's been one of the leaders."

*** On linebacker: "Need to watch the film but off the cuff Larry Nixon made some plays. After we slowed things down he created some negative plays for us."

That's it for Freeze today. Have a great Saturday!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News