ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (8-1-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn opens up 2024 fall camp today.

Stay tuned and refresh for all updates.

*** Likes the work that the strength coach and players have put in this summer. Especially likes the culture that has been built.

*** His talk was well received last night. Lasted about 45 minutes.

*** Hopes players can retain what went on this summer during installs.

*** On freshmen receivers and what it takes for guys to come in and contribute immediately: "Obviously you have to have the skill set and the ability to separate from some of the best athletes in the game." Second is mentality and playing the next play.

*** On Alex McPherson: "Getting better, thankfully. Not cleared to participate just yet."

*** The theme for this year is gratitude. Something we don't always have. "I just be thankful for every single day I have." Addressed three things last night. "You want the team to be dependent on each other." Three things discussed were gossip, gotta stop that. Second was control over the plans we make. We don't. We just have today. The third was the wealth we receive provides us with a type of security and comfort. Challenged the kids to use their resources to help foster kids in Alabama.

*** First day of practice expectations: "I expect it to be sharp. There's no reason, we've hit this install many times, I see no reason why not."

*** On what goes on behind the scenes in recruiting: "There are so many others that play a bigger role than I do in recruiting."

*** On balancing for the physical play in the SEC and keeping people healthy: "That's a daily discussion. Last night's last meeting was about that. How much do we tackle? Do we put him in a yellow jersey? We know what he can do, we just have to get him tot he bus. I do know you have to get your best players to Saturday."

*** On biggest difference in Year 2: "Being honest with myself, I didn't get as much done in Year 1 as I would have liked to, both chemistry and culturally." Says it is a lot different right now.

*** On what he wants to do differently this time? "We started back in January and this begins with me is getting comfortable with everyone in the building."

*** "Everyone on this staff has either worked with me or for me before."

*** "He is comfortable with me, I'm very comfortable with him. The verbiage is the same. He doesn't have to wonder what coach really expects of this." - on familiarity with Derrick Nix. Says Nix is seeing exactly what he is seeing. "Gives me a sort of fuzzy feeling."

*** On what he wants to see from Thorne: "We've had great conversations all summer. He's starting to learn my mindset."

*** On Perry Thompson and Cam Coleman: "Thrilled. They look the part. That is what a SEC receiver should look like. That is what Auburn should recruit. Cam is probably a little farther ahead because he had spring."

*** "I think Kayin Lee will be a NFL corner. Champ Anthony has had an incredible summer."

*** Tyler Johnson will be held out today and tomorrow, but he ran yesterday and looked good. Dealing with a hamstring injury. He and McPherson are the only ones not ready for fall camp.

*** "I think a key will be how well our young defensive backs and wide receivers play." - on one key to the season

*** On 105 scholarships and how it changes how they recruit and build a roster: "I wish I could get confirmation on that because it would change. We hear all of that and then the next day we hear it might just stay at 85 ... I hope we have more clarity by the December signing period, but even then it will be a little bit late."

*** On what was pitfalls from last season running the RPOs: "I don't want to talk about last year anymore, truthfully. I know it falls on my shoulders. This spring, we put more tools in Payton's tool box and fixed the issues that come up with the RPO."

*** On Jeremiah Cobb and differences he sees: "The size of his thighs. He's been with Dom and he's starting to look like a SEC running back. Love his smile. He has a contagious personality. He's a pleasure to coach and be around. That whole running back room is."

*** Mentions Justin Jones and Griffin Speaks have been award scholarships.

That's it for Hugh. Happy Fall Camp, everyone!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.