ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (4-2-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn starts its last week of spring practice with A-Day coming up on Saturday.

Follow along and refresh for updates.

*** Starts by mentioning how wonderful the weather has been. Saturday's practice was good. The energy from the players and coaches have been great. "They are batting 100% on that.)

*** Excited to see what they do today in the competition period.

*** Excited about the recruits that will be here on Saturday and all the fans that will come. Try to get out healthy, play some of the young kids. Been beat up considerably at the receiver position. That has caused them to slow down on some things they are trying to do.

*** How much 1-on-1's have they been able to do? "Every day. Every Tuesday and Saturday."

*** On Saturday, I honestly thought about turning it over to the media but I don't think you guys could come to a consensus much like a coaching staff. Putting 27 points on the board, and let's go play.

*** If D gets a pick-six, the 27 points will go up.

*** On receiver corp that is roughed up: Jay Fair, Koy Moore, Caleb Burton and Camden Brown. Thinks they will get Jay and Caleb back this week.

*** The competition between the quarterbacks has been good.

*** 4 10-minute clocks. Sure they will stop them in last two minutes, but still up in air. Run/pass ratio is hard to say. If we run our base offense, I don't know if it will be thrown or handed off most of the time.

*** On expectations for A-Day: "Number one, you hope for great weather for the fans. This is tough on getting a lot out of the day. It is right for everyone at Auburn and we are going to make the best out of it. The guys who I limit the snaps, you know what they can do. You don't want to see flags all over the field."

*** Sam Jackson has been in a yellow jersey following surgery. Bryce is going to be a talented, talented kid. Want to see where he will fit in year one.

*** "Cam Coleman is a different cat. He's going to have to play, and he knows that ... He's so coachable."

*** On defensive line individuals standing out: "We miss Marcus and Justin for sure. I think inside is where we are a little thin. Jayson Jones needs to come on and improve. Along with Gage and Trill. Behind them you have to have guys like Bobby, DJ and Blocton."

*** D-ends. J-Mac is dynamic. Hope he stays healthy throughout the year. And obviously Keldric we are extremely pleased with. Excited about Amaris and Waller.

*** On Saturday's scrimagge, what he liked, didn't like: "I thought the Tuesday competition, the offense dominated. The defense didn't like that at all and dominated the move the ball portion on Saturday. Defense still edged them out in the red zone competition."

*** "I thought our guys (offensively) responded to the defensive domination early (on Saturday.) Too many flags. Sort of got called for holds."

*** On QB reps, and what he is looking for on pecking order: "Payton's going to be in it. It's going to be hard to say. As excited as we are about Walker, the other three are getting the majority of the reps come fall camp. It's going to be hard to get four (reps)."

*** On obstacles of getting spring game versus another school: "When I bring that up in coach's meetings, there's no one that really pushes back against it. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking it is a good idea from my perspective."

*** "Payton will still be in the lead, pole position, going into fall camp right now based on what we have seen in the spring. But I don't think the gap is too far between him, Hank and Holden."

*** On replacing guys in secondary and that group evolve: "I hope it isn't fool's gold, but I have been really excited about the progress I'm seeing from them back there. I think Charles Kelly and Crime Dawg have done a great job. You have a great leader in Keionte and Thompson has played considerable snaps, but we are asking a lot of young guys to play considerable snaps."

*** Any returnees make a. move this spring? "Maybe not make a move but flip a switch, Jeremiah Wright. I'm really pleased with the way he's going about his business"

*** Mentions Bradyn Joiner lost his father last night. "Anytime you have a kid who loses a close family member like that, it's tough."

*** On apparel deal and if it comes up in recruiting: "Very rarely. Been at a bunch of different schools. Been a part of three different apparel companies and I don't think that has made a difference in the recruiting process."

*** Mentions he wish the NCAA would give them a dead period. Recruiting will be amped up until June. As far as our players here, they will have a discretionary week and then have a few weeks with Dom.

That's it for Hugh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News