ADVERTISEMENT

How to Win 8+ if Thorne stays QB1…

auamc

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
So, after watching AM's breakdown, which I thought was actually fantastic and great analysis, what sticks out to me is that the title is definitely deceiving. More on this in a second.

1. We can win 8+ games with Thorne as QB1, but it is undeniable we will need to run a lot more RPO for this to happen. He must be forced to make these quick decisions and throws to be effective. Otherwise, he holds onto the ball too long because he wants to throw to a wide-open receiver versus trusting the route/receivers to be there and make the play. My takeaway is we run heavy RPO until we know our offensive talent can run the full passing tree that Hugh wants to. Maybe that’s 10-20% of our play calls next Saturday. 20-30% against Arkansas, 40-50% against Oklahoma. I think Hugh needs to take that same look in the mirror that Thorne does and say hey, our offense doesn’t have to rely only on the Deep Pass or Big Play. It’s evident from that breakdown that we can gain a lot of yards just by taking easy passes. My concern is that it may not be something Thorne will ever do, and if that’s the case, we need to limit his reads and force his decisions to be quicker and more decisive, which the RPO does. Going back to Aaron Murray, this was his biggest takeaway and criticism of Thorne, and that title is deceiving because he was 80-90% judge-mental of Thorne, primarily for being too slow to process, trying to make the big play/big throw versus taking the easy yards and easy passes.

He did make a few references to bad route running, specifically regarding our RBs.

Also, there are a few passing plays that need some tweaking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.