Pat Dye's Cough Syrup

All-American
Silver Member
Nov 27, 2018
Things we're good at:

1. Rebounding ++
  2. Transition game on offense +
  3. Defending inside the paint ++
  4. Okoro on ball defense (although he loses his man on penetration more than you'd think) +
  5. Corner 3s
  6. Okoro slashing

Things we're not good at:
  1. Free throws --
  2. Our transition defense is abysmal (we rarely get back on defense the way that you're taught to do it) -
  3. Our guards struggle mightily to keep opposing guards from penetrating -
  4. Too much dribbling-
  5. Horrific wing and entry passing --
  6. Sense of the moment (for seniors, our guards have seemingly no sense of time/score/situation, see Doughty's lob last night)
  7. Shockingly bad guard play at times (OK at other times, great in small spurts)
What I'd do:

This team should be playing at a lower pace. We need to be grinding teams into submission with defense, and taking advantage of our rebounding and on ball defense. IMO, our press is ineffective, and its costing us points because we are terrible at getting back on D and identifying our man. I noticed this last year that our players struggle to determine their man in transition situations.

We need to play MUCH less aggressively on defense and stop reaching and utilize our height and athleticism inside. Mac and Wiley are defensive forces inside but its neutralized by the fact that our guards are too aggressive up top and being blown by too easily.

I also think its time to decrease Cambridge's minutes and sprinkle in Jaylin, especially if/when we have an insurmountable lead. Cambridge has rare athleticism, but to say he is raw basketball wise is an understatement.

Ceiling: Sweet 16

Floor: Out in round 1 or round 2

Best player: Okoro

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News