ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Gus Malzahn SEC teleconference notes

Ben Wolk

THE NOTORIOUS M.B.G.
Jul 31, 2018
Gus Malzahn coming up around 12:10 CT. I'll keep you posted if he says anything notable.

• Gus Malzahn is excited to be back home for an SEC opener against a team that beat a top-10 opponent Week 1. He re-iterates how happy he is to be at home.

• Legendary Bob Holt asks about Tim Horton and J.B. Grimes. Gus points out Horton has had a 1,000-yard rusher every year he's been there, if you didn't know. He also says how glad he is to have Grimes back.

• Malzahn wanted to get Will Hastings and Eli Stove's "feet wet" last week, but they'll be ready to go this week.

• Derrick Brown had a walking boot on. It's just a precautionary thing. He's practiced every day this week, and he'll play.

• Talking about Nick Brussettee, Malzahn thinks he "looks like a very good running back." Says he looks like a typical, marquee LSU running back.

• Asked about his own RB position, Malzahn is very pleased with the running back position. Kam Martin is Mr. Stability, he says.

• How much does Gus remember about the 2016 ending? "Yeah, it was a lot of ups and downs. The very end was a crazy ending. That was a very good win for us. There were two things. I thought they were in motion, had three or four guys moving. Then I looked up and saw the clock was at zero before the ball was snapped. I was pretty confident."

• On Joe Burrow: "He looks like he's a good administrator of the offense."

• Why is this series always so crazy? Malzahn says it's a game that will be a big factor in the SEC West. He wouldn't be surprised if this one is another one.

• Auburn's defensive line has "played like they're expected to play so far," according to Malzahn.

• Where has he grown as a head coach? Just the overall experience, he says. There's nothing like experience, he says again.

That'll do it, folks. Enlightening stuff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News