From the Athletic's Mock Draft 5.0...

lucas1987

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 27, 2008
Chattanooga

2. Orlando Magic

Jabari Smith Jr. | 6-10 forward | 18 years old | Auburn​

Smith drops a spot here, but I’m still a believer in him being a terrific, high-upside forward. There are few better 6-foot-10-plus shooters to have entered the NBA over the last decade. His percentages going back to high school are terrific, his marks so far at Auburn are great, and his mechanics are pristine. Smith has hit 40 percent from 3 so far at 18 years old and is averaging 15 points per game for one of the top teams in college hoops. On top of that, he’s a really sharp team defender with good lateral quickness who has no issues defending in space or rotating into the right spots as an impactful defender.

Having said that, I do wonder if we might be taping over some of his flaws a bit in a way that we didn’t early in the season with Holmgren. Announcers constantly ask Smith to create and try to get his own shot more and to attack the basket more. I kind of think that, at least in the half court, he’s just not really capable of that yet as a ballhandler. He’s good at getting to his stepback on a one- or two-dribble move that is translatable given his high release point, but for the most part, he’s not breaking down defenders on an island, either. He’s a terrific, unselfish player who doesn’t force the issue, but he hasn’t made a ton of consistent, awesome passing reads yet this season. So while I’m definitely a believer that all of this will come, it’s worth noting that Smith isn’t a finished package. He’ll be able to step into the NBA early because of his shooting and defense, but it might take some time for him to reach stardom — if the ballhandling improvement comes.

18. Denver Nuggets

Walker Kessler | 7-1 center | 20 years old | Auburn

Walker Kessler is one of the few players across college basketball who has taken an opportunity and run with it to the point that he has become a genuine NBA prospect. If I had a vote, Kessler would be my SEC Player of the Year so far. With all due respect to Smith, Eason, Oscar Tshiebwe, Iverson Molinar, Colin Castleton and the others who have really stood out in that league this season, Kessler is the most impactful player on what is clearly the best team in the league. His defense is that vital, as he’d be my pick for national defensive player of the year at this point, as well. Since Dec. 14, Kessler is averaging 14 points, nine rebounds and a staggering 5.4 blocks per game while shooting 70 percent from the field and having made six 3s. The crazy thing is, I think the five blocks actually undervalue him on defense. Teams don’t try to drive inside on Kessler to finish with their guards all that often anymore, knowing the big man is there waiting to send it back. He has two triple-doubles with blocks during that span, too. NBA teams can expect a big man who is elite already in drop-coverage settings, who has good hands and has some potential to play on the perimeter offensively in dribble-handoffs and in playmaking situations. Scouts who have been down to Auburn regularly to check in on Smith have noticed. Kessler’s range is a bit wider as a true big man, but it’s getting harder to ignore his actual production in a sea of players who haven’t been all that productive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News