ADVERTISEMENT

For those that think Gus could've gone 9-3 with this Auburn team, or even 8-4,

copper4X

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2018
how do y'all think he wins against LSU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas? The issue with the argument that Gus would've won this game, that game and so on, is you're also giving him the hard wins that Harsin pulled off this season. I personally don't think Gus wins any of those 3 games. Now granted, Gus would usually pull an upset. So he maybe wins 1. He also would always lose one he isn't supposed to as well.

Maybe Gus beats South Carolina, for example. But he doesn't win those games Harsin won. And honestly, it is so laughable to even assume Gus wins those easier games anyways. I mean, he freaking loss to an even worse South Carolina team the year before. A South Carolina team that only won 1 SEC game that 2020 season.

Mostly referring to posts like this btw:
Exactly. Gus would have gone 9-4. I don’t understand our second half collapses. Averaging less than 20 points a game in SEC play, will not get the job done. Ask Vanderbilt.

Auburn won some games they shouldn't have. But they also lost some game they shouldn't have. Sounds like a typical SEC West season to me.

I just cannnot fathom that people think this Auburn squad was a 9 win team. Only two teams in the SEC West won 9 games this season. Ole Miss and Bama. And their offensive talent is light years ahead of Auburn's. And it ain't like their defenses are half bad either. Not to mention there are other teams ahead of Auburn, and still didn't reach 9 wins. A la A&M. Auburn just is not there right now.

The main long winded point I'm making here, is to look back on a season and cherry pick away all the Auburn mistakes and say "that should've been 9 wins" is childish. Like it really is. Guess what, the other teams made mistakes too. What if we magically pick away those mistakes? What if we take away Lane's garbage 4th down playcalling? Or even going for it so many times on 4th down anyways. In every football game there are mistakes on both sides, even on the winning side. The mistakes Auburn made are not anything other teams don't make in a season. Honestly, the only game I really hardcore blame on coaching is South Carolina. Obviously was garbage Auburn didn't continue to run the ball with Tank.

Great teams overcome mistakes. This Auburn team rarely did. There are too many issue on the team. Even the defense has some issues, inability to rush the passer with 4 (except for the iron bowl for some reason). And I don't feel like I need to get into detail on the offensive side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News