ADVERTISEMENT

Disturbing trend in the Auburn/UGA rivalry.

graham bAyoU

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2006
We all feel like the ship needs to be righted in this one. I looked at the recent history of the rivalry to see if the bad losses had caused a skewed perspective of the series for Auburn fans. The news is not all bad, but there is a disturbing trend in the last 10 games that needs to come to an end. I will save that for last.

In the last 10 years we are 3-7. Not good. Breaking it down by decade is not as discouraging.
  • We had a better record in the 80's (6-4) and 90's (5-4-1). When looking at the 80's, once Dye got it going, he dominated the series winning 6 of 7 from 1983 to 1989. The only loss was the fire hose game. I was at that one and was very confident going into it. We were the better team and laid an egg that night. That was the only game in these seven that UGA scored at least 20. A dominant stretch for Auburn.
  • From 2000-2009 we have a losing record going 4-6. That includes losing the last 4 of the decade.
  • In this decade we are 2-3. A win this year evens up the decade, although we will still be 3-7 in the last 10.
So overall it's not as bad it seems. The 4 game losing streak to end the previous decade and some bad beatings make it seem worse than it is. We definitely need a win this year, though.

Now for the most disturbing trend and the reason for the high number of lopsided losses. In 9 of the last 10 we have given up 30 or more points. We have given up 40 or more three times in this stretch and this doesn't include 2012 when they could have scored 80. The only time we held them under 30 was 2008 (17 points) in a loss. Thrilling wins in 2005 and 2013 have kept this series from being a lopsided train wreck the last 10 years
Bottom line: Time to man up and play some defense in this game or we will likely trail in the series for the first time since 1986.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News