ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL D.J. Durkin quick notes (8-21-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with co-defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** On the penalty for loafing: "It's been that way for a while. On defense, it starts with effort. You have to get after the ball."

*** On how he coaches defense: "You have to be multiple because of the types of offenses we are facing. Most teams don't huddle anymore. They want to see what you are in. That is probably going to be more prevalent now with the ear piece in."

*** On what it takes a true freshmen to play early in his defense: I wouldn't limit a guy to saying he's a freshman and that means he can't help us. He's got to have an opportunity and he's got to have good mental maturity. Some guys are talented enough but their lives are a mess.

*** On key contributors in pass rush: "I have been pleased with our guys throughout training camp. J-Mac and Keldric for sure. They've had really good offseason. Keyron coming in really helps us. A lot of these young guys too. Amaris and Jamonte. They can be effective and we will need them to be."

*** On secondary and who he feels comfortable with: "We are still working on creating that depth. When I say depth it is position multiplicity as well. We are going to play multiple guys back there."

*** Challenge of facing OCs in this conference: "I think this conference is the best conference in college football, so it attracts the best players and the same goes for coaches. There are talented coordinators week in and week out. Each brings different challenges."

*** On helmet communication: "The kink is that sometimes they say I am too loud in their ear. I don't know how much on the defensive side it changes things. We can't go to that being the only communication we have with our players on the field."

*** On Demarcus Riddick: "Demarcus has a unique skill set. For his size and strength to be able to move is dynamic. He can play multiple spots."

That's it for DJ. Nix and Burns are coming up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.