ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of hoops thoughts...

Justin Hokanson

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2010
Just a personnel standpoint...

From what I saw in practices and what I heard from talking to those in the program, Samir Doughty was expected to do more. He's been fine on defense, but the drop-off from Mustapha Heron to Doughty on offense is dramatic. Doughty's defense has been good, his attitude is awesome (and an improvement from Heron), but his offense is nothing like what was expected. Big disappointment on offense.

Sidenote: Auburn should have re-upped Heron's contract, if you get my drift.

I can't believe Auburn misses Desean Murray as much as they do, but wow. Murray was undersized, but he fought hard, he rebounded and he played defense. He just brought a toughness down low that Auburn is missing. You'd think someone like Malik Dunbar could have filled some of that gap with his size, but basically the word from inside is, "just because he's built like a linebacker doesn't mean he'll play like one."

Purifoy isn't what he used to be. Wiley is always hurt, or when he's healthy, playing like a robot. Overall, really all the roster changes from last year to this year haven't panned out. I'm not sure anyone expected that.

Also, just something to think about, but both EJ Montgomery and Garrison Brooks should 100% be on this team. Montgomery was in until Chuck Person did his thing, and Brooks wanted to come to Auburn, but his dad blew all that up. I know it isn't helpful, but it's certainly interesting to think about this team with Montgomery and Brooks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News