ADVERTISEMENT

Chronic Disease

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
Since my last post should have been posted on the Holistic Housewife board, I'll up my game for this one.

People with long term, chronic disease all seem to have common characteristics. We can sometimes get into trouble by characterizing all groups of people as being this or that, when in actuality, it's more like 90% but it's the vast majority. What I've seen in people with chronic, debilitating diseases are a breakdown in cellular processing. Their ability to breakdown and eliminate certain products is impaired. Every genetic profile I've seen for someone with chronic disease had mutations to their VDR, which is the Vitamin D receptor protein. IMO, this is due to an increased acidity because of chronic inflammation and the cytokine cascade. Since Vitamin D assists in regulating Calcium and Phosphate absorption, this could indicate problems with villi pH. The pH of the villi varies from the distal end of the villi to the crypt and an abnormal pH can alter absorption. This can be caused by bacterial toxins or other undesirable compounds.

Another issue I've seen in chronic disease patients is MTRR and MTHFR mutations. MTRR mutations are alterations in Methionine Synthase Reductase which helps convert homocysteine back to methionine. This is common for people with pathogenic infections and this can come from an epigenetic shift. The MTHFR gene makes an enzyme called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and this helps folate and homocysteine become methionine. Reductions in this pathway can be 40% or 70% depending on whether you are heterozygous or homozygous. This can be familial or can occur because of epigenetic shifts.

I've only seen one person who was chronically ill that didn't have a SOD1 or SOD2 mutation. This gene helps reduce free radicals and oxidative stress. The more oxidative stress, the more problems you have.

Why are these important? Without these pathways functioning properly, you will not be able to make or breakdown and eliminate certain products efficiently. This means either homocysteine levels will rise or you will have a CBS mutation to lower its levels. Foods containing higher amounts of sulfur and nitrogen can be problematic. If you have cherry angiomas, I'd suspect issues with this pathway.

The end game, what do we do? No one really knows but I have my opinions. Since the vast majority of chronic illnesses are influenced by pathogens, cleaning up our GI tract would be paramount. That can't be done without determining which group of pathogens or compounds are contributing to the issues. Testing for pathogens like borrelia and babesia are often not reliable. Perhaps you have a translocation of gram positive bacteria from your GI tract? Perhaps you have internal fungal issues? Finding a physician that can help you determine what the root cause of your issues is the key.

Diet plays a huge role in pathogen growth as evidenced by the Wahl's Diet. Who thought MS could be altered that dramatically through diet alone? Increasing available nutrients while rebalancing intestinal pH has many benefits. The breakdown of ATP requires 6 substrates at one point and many reactions are like this. If we don't have available substrates, like magnesium, manganese, cobalt, or others, our pathways won't function efficiently.

Chronic infection depletes those cations over time because they bind intracellular polyamines and are transported extracellularly. Because of inappropriate polyamine conversion, they are ultimately eliminated. Our regular "American Diet" doesn't supply sufficient nutrients and eating outside the box so to speak is required. One diet isn't for everyone so it must be tailored around the individual's problems. It often does require a reduction of animal protein intake as normal American intake levels are too high. Reducing methionine consumption is often mandatory (especially if you have cancer.) I can't offer many answers but I can offer the process to help find them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News