ADVERTISEMENT

Caution: Long post about J.B. Grimes that no one asked for ITT

auburn_stiles

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I don’t blame Gus or Chip for the UCF game. the guys didn’t come to play and left a lot of points on the field. play calling wasn’t the problem, Stidham missed open receivers and they didn’t help him out a ton either.

the main reason Auburn lost was the fact that the OL got manhandled. mainly by the brother with 1 hand. so Gus brings back Grimes to hopefully bring back the edge, improve fundamentals/technique and most importantly the in game adjustments that we saw in 2013-14.

what Gus and Auburn had to sacrifice was the OT recruiting class for 2018 and the OL recruiting going forward will need more supervision under Grimes than Hand. it’s not a perfect world, there are trade-offs/opportunity costs in all situations of life, including coaching hires.

in 2013, we pushed people all over the got dam field by basically running the same 6 plays with unpredictable variations in blocking scheme and allocation from play to play. it created a sense of confusion amongst the opposing DL, while they were reacting we were being proactive and playing faster which led to us dominating teams in the trenches.

in my opinion, Grimes played a big part of that. we were still dominant on offense in 2014 with a less talented team, just couldn’t get stops on defense, which has been addressed. then Grimes gets cancer, JJ is just a disaster which makes the OL look bad, the team sux and his tenure at Auburn is remembered as a failure.

he’s not an outstanding recruiter but he did play a vital role in securing the commitment of Braden Smith, Cal Ashely, Harrell, Horton (thx Boom), Hamm, etc. so he’s not inept. I think if guys like Horton, Lindsey, Garner, TWill, woodson and obviously Gus will step up and help build relationships and get these guys on campus, Grimes won’t screw it up.

what he won’t do is play the game like younger coaches at other SEC and ACC schools will, so he will need that help from basically everyone on the staff. what he will do is sharpen the OL’s mental and physical toughness, lay the foundation with fundamentals and approach to the position, and bring a greater overall knowledge of strategy and adjustment to the game that we didn’t get from Herb.

I don’t think J.B. is the long term answer at OL coach, but he can absolutely be successful for 2-3 years if he gets some time and resources from other coaches on staff to land some quality OT, particularly in 2019. if he gets that he can stay even longer assuming his health isn’t an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News