ADVERTISEMENT

Bunker. Let’s please not make this political

tigergirl2008

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2012
Bunker I have been reading a lot of articles lately and seeing a lot of fitness “pros” on the internet speaking of the many risks of the flat barbell bench press lift. These concerns weren’t prevalent just a few years ago. What I read and see lately is a narrative that the flat barbell bench press is dangerous to the shoulder joint and rotator cuff and there are other lifts that can be performed with the same benefits and less injury risk.
I have come to know the flat bench press as one of if not the best overall strength builder for the upper body (in terms of pushing movements). For the past 15 to 20 years I have benched one heavy bench press workout per week with 3 to 4 hard working sets either all the way to failure or at least within a rep or two of failure and I have never had any shoulder pain or injuries at a result. I also try to focus on perfect or as close to perfect form as I can have. I don’t bench like an asshole that can’t control their weight.
Is there validity in this assertion of extreme risk in the bench press? Should I stop benching? My personal goals don’t include hypertrophy, I’m just interested in being as strong as possible so if there is another lift that is as effective as the bench press for development of upper body strength without the possible associated risks, please share what it is.
Also, if any of you beta cucks even mentions getting your compound lifts in on a Smith machine I’ll start my period a week early
Thanks for your feedback Bunker. It’s greatly appreciated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.