ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Bruce Pearl quick notes

Henry Patton

All-American
Staff
Apr 5, 2022
Dallas, TX
Hello! We're about a month away from Auburn's season, so we'll hear from Bruce Pearl ahead of Auburn's first day of practice/pro day.
Refresh for updates:

• He opened up by talking about how he's still getting used to the earlier start to practices, but that he likes it better now. Agreed!
  • "This first day of practice does not feel like the first day of practice."
  • "I know less about this team than many of the teams I've coached. And I only brought in two freshmen and three transfers. The combination of transfer portal and NIL in power conferences -- you're looking at 4-5 guys transferring per year."
  • Pearl added that Auburn is averaging about two transfers a year because guys love Auburn
  • Denver Jones is going to play 1 & 2
  • Johni Broome is going to play 4 & 5
  • the initial plan was for Tahaad Pettiford to play solely off ball, but he's shown that he can run point along with 2 & 3
  • "I'm going to learn a lot more about my team in the next few weeks."
  • He's asked about the non-con schedule -- mentioned that they scheduled teams like USC and Notre Dame that were great when they scheduled them, but just weren't last year. Mentioned that they wanted to play a tougher schedule to help with the analytics.
  • "I don't know if we can recruit like a top 10 program. I don't know if we can finish like one. But I can schedule like one because I can control that."
  • On Miles Kelly: "He was arguably Georgia Tech's best player last year... having to play him 32+ minutes, and now he's going to come here... he won't play 32 minutes. He'll be able to affect the game in more ways."
  • Pearl said that Johni Broome could start at 4, but it just depends on the others at 4 & 5 (i.e. Dylan, Chaney, Turtle, C-Mo). Mentioned that this will all be figured out over the next month.
  • Pearl mentioned that Broome is practicing at a more "consistent clip." Also said that Chaney Johnson has had a great fall and that we'll see the improvement from last year to this year.
  • "Chad Baker continues to show, at times, greatness."
  • "We're hard to score on in practice. We've got great size at the rim. We've got great length on the perimeter." Pearl mentioned that he's having a hard time to gauge his team because of how hard it has been to score and that he needs to see his guys play against another team.
That's all from Bruce

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.