ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Bruce Pearl notes ...

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
He's speaking on a summer SEC teleconference ...

• "We've got more traditional size than I've ever had. We made small ball at Auburn work. I hope to try to play the same way even though we have better size 1 through 5."
  • "We were able to recruit depth. It's difficult to recruit depth." (Mentions PG/SG)
  • "Just the chemistry and work ethic. They're focused. They feel like there's unfinished business."
  • More on his situation at G: "We're going to have good depth at point guard. The problem is that they could all play other positions." Says Bryce is a 2, can play 1. Says Samir probably will play off the ball. The new JUCO PG J'Von McCormick: "He's been a really solid player, really good athlete, really good defender, wants to compete. He's going to play every night."
  • Harper, Brown, Samir and McCormick — that's your four-man guard rotation.
  • BP likes Samir, notes that he'll someday go home to Philly and do something special because "he grew up in a pretty tough spot."
  • On what BP meant about unfinished business. He talks about Harper being a fighter. He says Harper and Bryce have been overlooked. "Neither one of those guys was drafted." Also mentions Wiley, who also wasn't drafted. Also mentions Danjel being held out last season. Also mentions Samir and Malik Dunbar. "There are a lot of guys on our roster that are hungry."
  • On if teams are more about good depth than star players now: "The more depth you have, the more you share it. Is that a function of Golden State having more depth and more good players? Of course, they had Kevin Durant when they needed him."
  • On getting kids back from the draft process: "It's very important for our program, but it was more important for those kids to go through that process. They got some great feedback. Not every kid is going to do what they're told. I think (the NBA) wants kids to make the best decision."
  • Says he felt like Wiley would have been drafted had he come back, but stands to improve his position heading into 2019. BP is fired up about Wiley being back. (Of course!)
  • On the SEC: "There was not a night off. When I was at Tennessee, we had a couple games every year where if we didn't beat ourselves, we could win one in the league."
  • BP talks about several other SEC coaches who are awesome in his estimation: Tom Crean, Billy Kennedy, Kermit Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News