ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS BETTER KNOW A PLAYER: Samir Doughty

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Alright, peeps.

I said I'd bring some Synergy stuff. Here's ROUND ONE — a pre-packaged video that includes video and deep stats for SAMIR F. DOUGHTY.

I know it's a bit rough around the edges. The video clips are too choppy. It's a little amateur, but I'm just getting started with this kind of thing. It's different than streaming.

PLEASE ENJOY.

Alright, peeps.

I said I'd bring some Synergy stuff. Here's ROUND ONE — a pre-packaged video that includes video and deep stats for SAMIR F. DOUGHTY.

I know it's a bit rough around the edges. The video clips are too choppy. It's a little amateur, but I'm just getting started with this kind of thing. It's different than streaming.

PLEASE ENJOY.

MORE. GIMMEE MORE.

giphy.gif

Samir takes some hard licks from The Bunker, but he is way underrated IMO. He's a very smooth guard that has the ability to get to the rim. It won't be him coming right at you like Jared and Jovon, but he works angles really well.

His biggest flaw last year, to me, was that he was too unselfish when he got to the basket. He seemed to always be looking for the pretty assist when all we needed was the layup or the foul.

EDIT: after watching the video and seeing his percentage at the rim, I agree with @Jay G. Tate in regard to his assessment about Samir's confidence. It may be that Samir was looking to dish when he got to the lane because he wasn't confident in his ability to finish.

Unfortunately for Samir, I'm afraid his Auburn claim to infamy will be the foul that sent UVa to the line for 3...

And now I'm sad bear.

19rgc2.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, peeps.

PLEASE ENJOY.

@Jay G. Tate LOVE THIS FEATURE

Excellent work JGT! Samir is a weird guy to evaluate but I like your take.

I wish we had a stat of how many shots he had blocked or affected greatly. He's got really good touch, but guys with great touch shouldn't shot 50% around the rim, that is UNLESS half his shots are getting swatted.

I also wonder if the driving lanes will be there for him this year. We're losing 4 incredible shooters and if I were an opposing coach I'm not giving him much space to work with. Samir isn't quick enough to blow past folks especially if the help defenders are more willing to help since there's no Bryce or Chuma to guard.

Excellent work JGT! Samir is a weird guy to evaluate but I like your take.

I wish we had a stat of how many shots he had blocked or affected greatly. He's got really good touch, but guys with great touch shouldn't shot 50% around the rim, that is UNLESS half his shots are getting swatted.

I also wonder if the driving lanes will be there for him this year. We're losing 4 incredible shooters and if I were an opposing coach I'm not giving him much space to work with. Samir isn't quick enough to blow past folks especially if the help defenders are more willing to help since there's no Bryce or Chuma to guard.
That's the thing ... he hasn't been a driver at Auburn.

He's been a spot-up shooter and a guy in transition.

Reactions: William_In_Texas
Suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

Uncrossing my eyes not possible. No need to mention that again.
I've never seen you have crossed eyes. I've never really known what you're talking about with that. I would like to see you have a Flock of Seagulls haircut for the next episode.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
So I got a COPYRIGHT CLAIM on the video portion of my Samir video, which means we're not going to be able to show you videos in the future. I'll ponder what we're going to do about this. One thing we won't be doing, however, is getting in a copyright kerfuffle.
That didn't take long. It's a shame, it was great. You can still make it work well with the stats because they by themselves are mind blowing.

Suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

Uncrossing my eyes not possible. No need to mention that again.

Awesome addition. That’s a lot of work my man. Much appreciated. The only thing I was curious about was how Samir stacked up against the top 5 in the nation in some of these stats. I don’t know if they provide that info in this new tool, but would be cool to get a sense of how our players fit into the bigger picture. Good stuff.

So I got a COPYRIGHT CLAIM on the video portion of my Samir video, which means we're not going to be able to show you videos in the future. I'll ponder what we're going to do about this. One thing we won't be doing, however, is getting in a copyright kerfuffle.
@Jay G. Tate I wonder if Vimeo would flag it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT