ADVERTISEMENT

Belichick made an excellent point on the McAfee Show today.

Mr. Coach Lou Holtz

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2020
Pat mentioned to Belichick that the term Game Manager to describe a QB has become a slanderous term in football. Belichick went on to, in my opinion, completely tear that narrative apart. His point was that QBs are supposed to be game managers because the point of the game is to WIN!

He mentioned QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, etc. were/are excellent because they were able to manage the game in a way that helped the team win. Whether it was outscoring the other team on offense or not giving up negative plays and letting your defense win the game, their whole mentality was to simply put their team in the best position to win. They would consistently check out of plays that they knew were going to be busted or negative yardages plays (particularly run plays) in order to protect field position and simply let someone else make the big plays. He elaborated on Brady's understanding that the Patriots did not gain any yardage with the ball in his hands.

I am starting to believe that the need for a game manager at the QB position is coming back into the sport. Everyone wants to out-athlete everyone else and put huge numbers on the scoreboard, but I would argue that our game this weekend was a countercultural example of how a game managing QB who protects the football and field position can influence the outcome of a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.