ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn's Issues?

SchmidtyNole

All-American
Feb 19, 2007
I went back and looked at old Recruiting Rankings from 2012-2016. Auburn and Clemson are very similar in terms of where they were ranked in recruiting in each of those years. When I look at this game the only area where I feel Clemson has a HUGE edge is at Quarterback. The talent across the board at every other position looks pretty even to me. So I have a question for you guys. What has been Auburn's biggest problem the past two years? The SEC West is the toughest division for sure but I don't think all of Auburn's problems can be atributed to that. Thoughts on that as well as what are Auburn's chances against Clemson?

Last edited:
Defense has been a problem every since Tuberville left, but that started to improve at end of last year. We currently have 5 five stars just on the defensive line. If that area doesn't improve, you have to think coaching is the problem.

Secondary worries me early in the season because of injuries. This is especially true against Watson and Clemson's receivers. We will likely have 2 or 3 usual contributors in the secondary miss the game because of injuries and possible suspensions.

Developing a sophisticated passing game has never been the strength of Malzahn's offense going back to when he was first hired as offensive coordinator under Chiziik back in 2009. For some reason unknown to me, Malzahn decided to go a couple of recruiting cycles without recruiting the dual threat Cam Newton and Nick Marshall style of quarterback he has had success with in the past

This board is basically dead, so you likely won't get many other responses. Hopefully this will give you some idea

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT