ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Football: Where We Are Now

@jhead34382 do you think some of the portal misses, specifically QB & WR were a result of Hugh and staff having limited time to evaluate, get their foot in the door, etc.?

I’m hoping with having a year under their belt and feet on the ground this cycle will be much different. HS recruiting is still the way but feels like we’ll need to hit the portal hard at least one more year.
I think that was part of it, but not the only the only reason and I’d never just pin it on that singular issue.

Reactions: AU_256
The players ain’t talented, but the corching certainly hasn’t done them any favors. That’s what bothers me the most. Zero development and we’re getting worse.
On offense I’d agree, on defense I’d disagree. Assante and Marcus Harris have elevated their game majorly this year and a big part of that is the development, coaching, and scheme that Garrett, Aldridge and Roberts have put in place for them to excel. So there’s growth and development, just not nearly as much on offense as everyone would obviously prefer.

On offense I’d agree, on defense I’d disagree. Assante and Marcus Harris have elevated their game majorly this year and a big part of that is the development, coaching, and scheme that Garrett, Aldridge and Roberts have put in place for them to excel. So there’s growth and development, just not nearly as much on offense as everyone would obviously prefer.
Definitely focused on offense there. In particular QBs. And the 3 studs we were sold on ain’t earning their paychecks. Phil, Kent and Hew look like they’ve never met a QB before.

@jhead34382 the “proof of concept” is what has me worried with this class and stud recruits going forward. Do they have confidence in this staff with the way they have managed this crap show to put their future in these guys hands?
Very valid concern.

Ya'll ain't up to par,but go out there and give em your best shot..lol. wth

Is Hugh scared to call plays because he'd get blamed for the offense?

Reactions: stupup74
Ya'll ain't up to par,but go out there and give em your best shot..lol. wth

Is Hugh scared to call plays because he'd get blamed for the offense?
I agree with a lot of this.

Hugh made SURE to note that HE called the fade to Fairweather that won the Cal game.

Fast forward to now, things aren’t going near swimmingly, he is taking little potshots at his OC.

Whether you think the current OC sucks, and I do, the “good reverend Hugh” is doing a piss poor job of leading.

After awhile, coaches and players will pick up on that if they already haven’t.

This heavy handed ego is why folks look at “good reverend Hugh” sideways.

He’s an egotistical asshole on par with the likes of Coach K and Urban Myer, but without the success.

Is smack in the middle of an ugly rebuild. It’s not ideal and it’s extremely hard to watch for passionate fans when it feels as though it’s being compounded by a coaching staff that has struggled to find any semblance of a passing game, but all the same it’s where this program is now. Will Herring said it best last night when he said “we didn’t get this way overnight” and it’s an extremely true statement from a roster management standpoint.

This fact doesn’t excuse the offensive coaching decisions from last night or over the course of this season and Coach Freeze should be held accountable for those, but I still believe the larger issue with this team is its current talent level more than it is the coaching. When things are this ugly people look to point the finger at what they see as the issue and it’s hard for proud fans to admit a team like Ole Miss is better than yours for two years in a row. Again this staff can absolutely do some things differently to make this team more efficient, but as my friend @StatsMatter likes to say you can coach a B level talent to its max and at the end of the day its B level talent. Yes recruiting services get things wrong as guys like Roger McCreary, Daniel Thomas, Nick Fairley, Kevin Green, Tyrone Green, Ben Grubbs, Dontarrious Thomas, and etc exceed their ranking, but that’s the exception and not the rule. As a quick reminder let’s review what the prior regime inherited compared to the current regime, and you tell me which situation was better.

Harsin Inherited Team:

1. QB Bo Nix (Future NFL player)

2. CB Roger McCreary (2nd Round NFL Draft Pick)

3. OLB D. Hall (2nd Round Draft Pick)

4. RB Tank Bigsby (3rd NFL Draft Pick)

5. DE Colby Wooden (4th Round NFL Draft Pick)

6. LB Owen Pappoe (6th Round NFL Draft Pick)

7. LB Zakoby McClain (2nd Team All-SEC player)

8. WR Kobe Hudson (23 receptions / 500 yards receiving / 2 TDs this season).

9. DT Lee Hunter (25 tackles and 3 sacks this season)

10. S Jaylin Simpson (potential All-SEC season)

11. WR Jarvarious Johnson (818 career yards receiving & 5 TDs)

There are more but I’ll stop there. Now let’s look at who Freeze inherited that Harsin added and you’ll notice a trend with more defensive talent than offensive talent in both situations:

1. RB Jarquez Hunter (72 rushes / 309 yards / 5 TDs)

2. DT Marcus Harris (29 tackles / 4 sacks this season)

3. LB Eugene Assante (52 tackles / 3.5 sacks)

4. CB DJ James (21 tackles / 2 ints)

5. DB Keionte Scott (15 tackles / 2 pass break ups - more valuable than his stat line would suggest but has been injured)

6. WR Jay Fair (22 receptions / 248 yards / 2 TDs)

7. RB Damari Austin (26 rushes / 131 yards / 1 TD)

8. S Donavon Kauffman (15 tackles / 2 FF / 1 int)

9. DT Jayson Jones (10 tackles / 0 sacks)

I think it’s pretty easy to see the stark difference in impact players Harsin inherited vs what Freeze inherited even if you account for Simpson and Var on both rosters, and I didn’t even mention TD Moultry, Pegues or LT on the Harsin roster.

Again this team could absolutely be better coached, but it’s talent ceiling is what is, and there is no easy way to get out of this other than to stop the QB shuffle and recruit better players. One of those issues you can fix today, the other one will take several more years. Sorry this wasn’t more of a typical JHead sunshine post, but like our talent level it is what it is today.
The critics on here can say what they want and they usually do, but the reality is just what you said in this post and no amount of bitching and moaning is going to change that or rush the process of improvement. I still believe that we may see an upset this year and if so, for now, that would please me.

Is smack in the middle of an ugly rebuild. It’s not ideal and it’s extremely hard to watch for passionate fans when it feels as though it’s being compounded by a coaching staff that has struggled to find any semblance of a passing game, but all the same it’s where this program is now. Will Herring said it best last night when he said “we didn’t get this way overnight” and it’s an extremely true statement from a roster management standpoint.

This fact doesn’t excuse the offensive coaching decisions from last night or over the course of this season and Coach Freeze should be held accountable for those, but I still believe the larger issue with this team is its current talent level more than it is the coaching. When things are this ugly people look to point the finger at what they see as the issue and it’s hard for proud fans to admit a team like Ole Miss is better than yours for two years in a row. Again this staff can absolutely do some things differently to make this team more efficient, but as my friend @StatsMatter likes to say you can coach a B level talent to its max and at the end of the day its B level talent. Yes recruiting services get things wrong as guys like Roger McCreary, Daniel Thomas, Nick Fairley, Kevin Green, Tyrone Green, Ben Grubbs, Dontarrious Thomas, and etc exceed their ranking, but that’s the exception and not the rule. As a quick reminder let’s review what the prior regime inherited compared to the current regime, and you tell me which situation was better.

Harsin Inherited Team:

There are more but I’ll stop there. Now let’s look at who Freeze inherited that Harsin added and you’ll notice a trend with more defensive talent than offensive talent in both situations:

5. DB Keionte Scott (15 tackles / 2 pass break ups - more valuable than his stat line would suggest but has been injured)

I think it’s pretty easy to see the stark difference in impact players Harsin inherited vs what Freeze inherited even if you account for Simpson and Var on both rosters, and I didn’t even mention TD Moultry, Pegues or LT on the Harsin roster.

Again this team could absolutely be better coached, but it’s talent ceiling is what is, and there is no easy way to get out of this other than to stop the QB shuffle and recruit better players. One of those issues you can fix today, the other one will take several more years. Sorry this wasn’t more of a typical JHead sunshine post, but like our talent level it is what it is today.
Spot on. There’s only so much “coaching up” someone can do with a certain level of talent.

It’s just not the way you coach a football team.

Now it may be the way you save your own ass, and he does have to do that to be around long enough to put his vision for the program into effect …

I’d have just said it privately and not publicly, though.
My interpretation is Hugh knew/knows this type of year was coming. He’s sending the message to recruits that we need help. He feels this message will help recruiting more than 1 or 2 more wins will help?

With the annual scholarship limit changed to allow for replenishing annual departures, I expect a large attrition again.

We obviously don’t have a QB on the team. Thorne and Ashford are equally bad. Since that position is so important for establishing an ID, the offensive staff has no foundation to build on. Coaching mistakes are amplified as a result.

As long as Hugh can demonstrate his vision, maintain program energy and continue to receive administration support, his likelihood of success will remain strong.

Harsin Inherited Team:

We just have to face it, We Suck right now!!
I’m just shocked Freeze hasn’t been able to have a good offense, no matter the talent

My interpretation is Hugh knew/knows this type of year was coming. He’s sending the message to recruits that we need help. He feels this message will help recruiting more than 1 or 2 more wins will help?

With the annual scholarship limit changed to allow for replenishing annual departures, I expect a large attrition again.

We obviously don’t have a QB on the team. Thorne and Ashford are equally bad. Since that position is so important for establishing an ID, the offensive staff has no foundation to build on. Coaching mistakes are amplified as a result.

As long as Hugh can demonstrate his vision, maintain program energy and continue to receive administration support, his likelihood of success will remain strong.
The thing I’m most perplexed about is Thorne is a QB wirh 6,700 passing yards at a P5 school.

What happened there?

We can talk about talent being a big issue. It absolutely is and the ceiling for this team was 7-5 because of the lack of talent.

HOWEVA, I always saw Freeze as being a guy that can more with less (Liberty beating Arkansas, Ole Miss always being tough under him). This offense struggling to this degree is much more than just talent. The management, play calling, scheme, and personnel decision making is awful. Everybody has the same opinion: rotating these QBs like we are is counter-productive. Is Freeze just as hard headed and dumb as Gus/Harsin?

I thought this team would get better as the season went on. Really hate to say this, but we have gotten worse and worse offensively. You know why that is? We have no identity, we have no confidence, and we play tight. It's on the head coach to establish all of those things. Extremely disappointing and Freeze is putting an insane amount of pressure on himself Years 2 and 3 because of this
Facts JB!!

Reactions: AuBuRn-79
It's not? Top 4 SEC team the past 6 seasons now from a winning perspective. 2 SEC regular championships in the span, last SEC Team to make a Final 4. You sure on that statement?
Program is in decline for anyone paying attention and Bruce has run some hilariously bad plays at the end of games.

Harsin Inherited Team:

Thanks Jhead for bringing some common sense reason pertaining to the situation regarding Auburn football. I feel like the majority of the bunker understands it’s gonna take time. The problem is , the few on here with clearly no understanding of what Hugh inherited plus the time it’s gonna take to get out of the cellar. They seems to get everyone riled up thinking we should be clicking on all cylinders year 1. Not to mention going up against 4 good teams with more talent and coaching staffs who have been with there programs for multiple years. Also, enjoy your Sunday night show on tos

Last edited:
Wasn’t directed at you. It was towards the fans with unrealistic expectations in year one based on things like transfer portal rankings and ignoring the obvious shortcomings of our returning talent.

I get that nobody could have predicted all of the failures that have occurred, but just a little bit of caution could have tampered expectations. But anyone that dared speak the hard truth was shouted down. Especially anyone that was hesitant to proclaim Freeze and his staff the saviors.

I’m not calling anyone in particular out.
The ironic part of that is those same type of fans will turn around and accuse more realistic fans of cheering for failure.

Very short sided to blame this on talent alone @jhead34382 . The defense has enough talent to kept us in 3 of the 4 losses. They ain’t great but have been a solid bunch for the most part. We have talent on special teams. Two great kickers. We have a QB that threw for 50 TD’s at MSU. We have a talented RB room. We have a nice LT & an OL that is improved from years past. We have a talented receiving TE & a decent TE room overall. We have another QB, Ashford, who has shown to be talented enough to move the football in this league. Should that equate to one of the worst offenses in the last 25+ years? I say no. I’m a huge HF fan but to see 4 losses in a row & justify it by claiming to be simply void of talent isn’t accurate.

I was under the impression that Will was/is an anti-freezer. Especially after his hit piece after either the Cal game or maybe the Tamu game. Is that not the case? @jhead34382
lol, you must’ve misssed his campaign video telling folks he’d never met freeze but knew he was the man for the job and felt like he’d known him his whole life because he sits next to his daughter at church. It was cringe af.

Very short sided to blame this on talent alone @jhead34382 . The defense has enough talent to kept us in 3 of the 4 losses. They ain’t great but have been a solid bunch for the most part. We have talent on special teams. Two great kickers. We have a QB that threw for 50 TD’s at MSU. We have a talented RB room. We have a nice LT & an OL that is improved from years past. We have a talented receiving TE & a decent TE room overall. We have another QB, Ashford, who has shown to be talented enough to move the football in this league. Should that equate to one of the worst offenses in the last 25+ years? I say no. I’m a huge HF fan but to see 4 losses in a row & justify it by claiming to be simply void of talent isn’t accurate.
I agree with most of what you say here. But Ashford is not a good QB or even an average one. He’s athletic no doubt. I haven’t seen him move the ball anywhere close to consistently in this league. But overall I’m as disappointed as anyone on here about our offense. It is, as you say, one of the worst I’ve seen ever at Auburn. And I’ve been watching Auburn football for 50+ years.

lol, you must’ve misssed his campaign video telling folks he’d never met freeze but knew he was the man for the job and felt like he’d known him his whole life because he sits next to his daughter at church. It was cringe af.
Yes I saw it or part of it but didn’t realize it was same guy. Until now.

Reactions: stutsman23
Wut?

Jaylin Simpson has really stepped it up this season as well.

I was under the impression that Will was/is an anti-freezer. Especially after his hit piece after either the Cal game or maybe the Tamu game. Is that not the case? @jhead34382
Will Herring and Will Collier are two separate people. I'm fairly certain of it. And for the record, @Will Collier is not the English footballer Will Collier, either.

I agree with most of what you say here. But Ashford is not a good QB or even an average one. He’s athletic no doubt. I haven’t seen him move the ball anywhere close to consistently in this league. But overall I’m as disappointed as anyone on here about our offense. It is, as you say, one of the worst I’ve seen ever at Auburn. And I’ve been watching Auburn football for 50+ years.
RA threw for 1600+ yards & rushed for 700+ yards last year. He accounted for 14 TD. Currently that looks solid compared to what we’ve seen from QB1 in 2023. Hugh should have been able to squeeze more production from this team. Thing is… he knows it & it’s eating him up.

I fell into the trap of believing that the OL portal signings would have more of an impact. Defenses are feasting in the AU backfield. The running game is immediately under pressure and there's contact before they even get to the line of scrimmage. Nothing needs to be said about the passing game, there isn't one. This is disappointing.

I think part of the problem was he doomed us to these results by saying it. Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tuberville and Gus all inherited talent deficiencies, too, but they didn't tell their players that. They got the most out of them they possibly could.
Good point, but I take exception with the Bowden inclusion. He inherited a roster loaded with seasoned talent that simply needed new organization.

Stan White, James Bostic, Stephen Davis, Tony Richardson, Frank Sanders, Thomas Bailey, Chris Shelling, Calvin Jackson, Brian Robinson, Terry Daniel, Wayne Gandy, Anthony Redmon, Willie Whitehead. I wish Auburn had those kind of "deficiencies" now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT