ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas can make Gus Malzahn an offer he can’t refuse...

Archie

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2002
Huntsville, AL
at least "on paper" and with private resources they can....but have they? Will they?

Arkansas can make Gus Malzahn an offer he can’t refuse

Gus_postSECTitle-e1512274747420-1024x588.jpg

By Ray Glier

ATLANTA — There has not been an abundance of names linked to the head football coaching opening at Arkansas, and the only reason for that is the Razorbacks are preparing an offer for Gus Malzahn, whose Auburn team was walloped 28-7 by Georgia here Saturday in the SEC Championship.

If Auburn wants to keep Malzahn, it is likely going to have to out-bid Arkansas and its vast reservoir of money from private sources. Malzahn is from Fort Smith, Ark., was a legendary high school coach there, and is as innovative an offensive mind as there is in college football.

An Auburn source with direct knowledge of the situation who spoke to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity said school president Steven Leath would handle any contract negotiations with Malzahn. Malzahn has told Auburn officials he wants to stay, the source said, “But if Arkansas were to offer him $60 million, he would have to go. That’s life-changing money.”

Following the loss to Georgia, Malzahn was peppered with questions about Arkansas.

Do you intend to stay at Auburn?

“We’ve got a very good foundation built,” he said. “And I think the best is yet to come.”

Does that mean Arkansas should not call?

“I’m the head coach at Auburn,” Malzahn said, “and I just said I want to be the head coach at Auburn.”

And you will be next year?

“I want to be.”

When the Tigers were 5-2 in the middle of October, Malzahn was not so beloved at Auburn. He had taken the Tigers to the national championship game in 2013, then went 8-5 in 2014, 7-6 in 2015, 8-5 in 2016. Those are winning marks, but they are not enough when your rival, Alabama, is in the national championship picture every season.

Then the Tigers thrashed No. 1 Georgia, 40-17, on Nov. 11. Two weeks later, Auburn then beat then-No. 1 Alabama, 26-14.

The SEC championship game was the kind of performance that makes Auburn fans question their coaching and thus makes Auburn a tough job for many coaches to keep. But Malzahn also understands Auburn is a better job than Arkansas, just by the recruiting base in Alabama and Georgia. He has mentioned over and over the last month that the young talent coming up in the program is encouraging. At Arkansas, he would have to start over, especially in Texas where recruiting has fallen off.

If Arkansas makes a huge offer Malzahn cannot refuse, Leath has plenty to throw out to lure the next coach, starting with the abundance of talented players expected to be back from a so-far 10-3 team.

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham is eligible to enter the NFL draft, but when he was asked if he would remain in college, he told The Athletic, “I love being at Auburn. I got a long way to go before anything like that happens.”

Star running back Kerryon Johnson told The Athletic, “I think so,” when he was asked about his plans to stay at Auburn. And he wasn’t sure money would lure his coach away, either.

“Coach Malzahn has millions already,” Johnson said. “I don’t know if money is going to be a factor in his decision.”

Reactions: fntiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News