ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else still excited about the future of AU football besides me?

judgefudge101

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, the losses are frustrating. Especially when they’ve been as close as they have been. With that said, I can think back to several drives and several moments in several games that might have changed the outcome with slightly better QB production. How many INT’s have we had because Thorne just missed someone like Coleman? Tipped passes resulted in INT’s which resulted in points. Good play call, correct read, just not accurate enough (and by a slim margin). Or drive killers because Thorne runs back 10 yards and lays down the sack instead of throwing it away. Yesterday, there were at least a few instances with correct play calling, correct reads, but Thorne would overthrow the receiver. The missed wide-open Rivaldo throw might have changed the game. I don’t know. I’m not saying it’s all on the QB. I just feel like our scheming is improving, and the reads are for the most part good (which is a result of coaching) but our QB room can’t quite get us over under hump. I’ve stayed true that 2025 should be the season for expectations to really ramp up. Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens if we get a more serviceable QB. Let’s not pretend that if we had ponied up the money for Cam Ward, we’d still be sitting at 2-5. Thinking back to all those small moments that had huge impacts, I can’t help but feel like those numbers would be reversed (or even better) if we had a top-half SEC QB. This isn’t a league where you can consistently win without one unless you’re also surrounded with NFL talent. We have young future NFL guys, but not a upper-class roster filled with them. We missed on a better QB. It happens and these are the results. I, for one, am still looking forward to next year regardless

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.