ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody get The Rona over Turkey Day?

I'm good ... I am exhausted with the Facebook-quality "but muh freedoms!" comments. It's idiocy.

As to your other logic, yikes. The point of this thread was that OP had a large gathering. His attitude was that it was only involving him, so no harm. You comment was similar. Both were equally and unequivocally missing the point.

CDC study where a small wedding in Maine (55 people), created 177 COVID cases and seven deaths ... most from people that did not attend the wedding.

I appreciate you providing explicit context. It seems that we need to be very thorough for some people. I guess this is a sarcasm and intelligence free zone now. The Bunker is really spiraling downwards.

COVID squad getting on OPs ass right now.

We had a small gathering. Walked in and saw an older adult wiping the nose of my nephew discretely. I said "Really?!? We would have stayed at home". Then they blamed it on moisture and allergies outside.

Today every single one in my household has a cold.
I had a family get together as well. I don't feel the need to belittle those who decided not to. I made my dad and his wife stay home because they popped positive. I took a test and was negative. I told everyone in the family that it had started to affect the business, but I had a negative test and hadn't been in the Columbia office in two weeks. They made their own educated decision from that.

I had a family get together as well. I don't feel the need to belittle those who decided not to. I made my dad and his wife stay home because they popped positive. I took a test and was negative. I told everyone in the family that it had started to affect the business, but I had a negative test and hadn't been in the Columbia office in two weeks. They made their own educated decision from that.

I'd say about 80% of the people at mine had already had the Rona so we were all pretty comfortable being around each other. I know for a 100% fact that if this person would have had it they wouldn't have told us and would have coughed all over our food. They had a lot riding on this Thanksgiving for their mental health.

I would love to hear more people’s opinions on this matter.

what is the balance of giving up your personal safety vs giving up your personal liberties?

Should it be an individual decision?
I am all for personal freedom and liberty. Generally, I consider it more important than life. Live free or die. However, it isn't so simple as personal safety vs personal freedom because individual decisions are not made in a vacuum. Ideally, each person could decide whether to take the risk and do whatever they want, but it doesn't work like that. Individual decisions affect other people. If there were absolutely no restrictions put in place and no change in behavior at all, this virus would have infected almost every single person in this country and millions (probably 2-4M people, maybe even more) would have died from it. Since complete lack of restriction clearly affects the personal liberty of others, (because it is hard to exercise personal freedoms if dead) then some reasonable restrictions are necessary. What are reasonable restrictions?

It would be best if we could have implemented nothing more than just testing and isolation of infected individuals and of those with whom they have been in contact. If not infected or exposed, you would be unaffected. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for this virus because it is so infectious and it is extremely difficult to tell who has it and is spreading it. So more is required. Apparently, wearing masks and limiting contact is the next best alternative. This causes unfortunate restriction of personal liberty, but seems somewhat reasonable as long as it is limited in scope and duration. Forcing people to wear masks while outside and not around other people or while in ones own home is excessive. Disallowing any sort of large social gathering at all, like church for example, regardless of precautions taken, seems excessive. Continuing mask requirements after immunization is available for all is excessive.

Most of what has been done (excluding some of the draconian overreaches like what is mentioned above) seems fairly reasonable and does not limit people's freedom too much. The folks hardest hit seem to be small businesses and their employees, especially restaurants and bars. Economic freedom is important too. I'd lean towards lifting the restrictions on restaurants having to stay at half or less capacity, but then I look around at all the people who refuse to comply with basic precautions. There are always idiots who make things harder for everyone else. Maybe we should offer the people who, for example, compare the virus to a cold and say it is harmless the option not to have to comply with any restrictions as long as they agree to be infected by the virus and then quarantine until they recover and test negative or die. See if they would put their asses where their mouths are. Wait...that doesn't sound right. 😉

I'm good ... I am exhausted with the Facebook-quality "but muh freedoms!" comments. It's idiocy.

As to your other logic, yikes. The point of this thread was that OP had a large gathering. His attitude was that it was only involving him, so no harm. You comment was similar. Both were equally and unequivocally missing the point.

CDC study where a small wedding in Maine (55 people), created 177 COVID cases and seven deaths ... most from people that did not attend the wedding.

But we mask up in public. Like, all of us. So if the masks stop the spread of the virus, then there's no way we're endangering anyone outside our family.

#Science

I'm sorry, but the scaremongers said you are being selfish for allowing people to make their own decisions.

Reactions: Solo Cup
[

Is that the same science that said we needed to quarantine for 14 days if you were exposed but now says it's only 7 days? Or the same science that said masks don't work, but they work now? Or the same science that said the virus was airborne but then it was discovered it actually isn't?

I'm having a hard time keeping up with which science is correct.

The science always said they worked. Of course they don't completely prevent infection but they drastically reduce the likelihood. Anybody with any semblance of reasoning capacity understood that all along. Just because some lying, government bureaucrats (pardon the redundancy) say something isn't true doesn't make it false. Masks always helped. Fauci and the surgeon general lied when they said they didn't.

If "liberal" means someone who understands science and rational thought, and increasingly that seems to be the case, then you got me.

It's not just this.. you are one of my favorites, but I get so sad when I see you little liberal side start to shine.

I am all for personal freedom and liberty. Generally, I consider it more important than life. Live free or die. However, it isn't so simple as personal safety vs personal freedom because individual decisions are not made in a vacuum. Ideally, each person could decide whether to take the risk and do whatever they want, but it doesn't work like that. Individual decisions affect other people. If there were absolutely no restrictions put in place and no change in behavior at all, this virus would have infected almost every single person in this country and millions (probably 2-4M people, maybe even more) would have died from it. Since complete lack of restriction clearly affects the personal liberty of others, (because it is hard to exercise personal freedoms if dead) then some reasonable restrictions are necessary. What are reasonable restrictions?

It would be best if we could have implemented nothing more than just testing and isolation of infected individuals and of those with whom they have been in contact. If not infected or exposed, you would be unaffected. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for this virus because it is so infectious and it is extremely difficult to tell who has it and is spreading it. So more is required. Apparently, wearing masks and limiting contact is the next best alternative. This causes unfortunate restriction of personal liberty, but seems somewhat reasonable as long as it is limited in scope and duration. Forcing people to wear masks while outside and not around other people or while in ones own home is excessive. Disallowing any sort of large social gathering at all, like church for example, regardless of precautions taken, seems excessive. Continuing mask requirements after immunization is available for all is excessive.

Most of what has been done (excluding some of the draconian overreaches like what is mentioned above) seems fairly reasonable and does not limit people's freedom too much. The folks hardest hit seem to be small businesses and their employees, especially restaurants and bars. Economic freedom is important too. I'd lean towards lifting the restrictions on restaurants having to stay at half or less capacity, but then I look around at all the people who refuse to comply with basic precautions. There are always idiots who make things harder for everyone else. Maybe we should offer the people who, for example, compare the virus to a cold and say it is harmless the option not to have to comply with any restrictions as long as they agree to be infected by the virus and then quarantine until they recover and test negative or die. See if they would put their asses where their mouths are. Wait...that doesn't sound right. 😉
Well put. I don't know why it's so hard for so many. It would help if w had some leadership right now to present a united front and try to convince people that the next 30-45 days are critical to avoiding an explosion of cases before the vaccine starts being administered, and we can all suck it up for that much time to protect life and get beyond this...but that's not going to happen because the leader of one tribe says otherwise.

I'm going to go with no on this one as well. The ignorance by some is making life difficult for those of us who still trust scientists.
Do you want to stop this virus? Than you lock people down. And I’m not talking about no bullshit half assed lockdown like the last time. You lock people in their homes and they don’t come out for 8 weeks. Emergency personnel only. No more virus...not for awhile at least. Now thousands of people would die of natural causes. Thousands more would die from suicide. But the virus would be gone. So you see, the question here has never been about science. We all know there is a viral pandemic going on. The question is about the risk we are willing to accept and the amount of government influence we are willing to allow for a virus with a less than 1% death rate. It’s philosophical not scientific.

The science always said they worked. Of course they don't completely prevent infection but they drastically reduce the likelihood. Anybody with any semblance of reasoning capacity understood that all along. Just because some lying, government bureaucrats (pardon the redundancy) say something isn't true doesn't make it false. Masks always helped. Fauci and the surgeon general lied when they said they didn't.
So they lied? And now I'm supposed to fall in line and believe everything they say now? Because if I don't, I'm a science denier.

Fvck all that.

Well it was more nuanced than that about what Faucci said, and anyone with any sense could and should have known it was a fluid situation that could change. And, the bigger point was that was said last Feb/March and was revised many times and a long, long time ago and that didn't change the minds of the die hards. Using what was said that long ago is an excuse and justification for people who just want to do what they want to do regardless of the risks to others.

So they lied? And now I'm supposed to fall in line and believe everything they say now? Because if I don't, I'm a science denier.

Fvck all that.
That's a ridiculous false dichotomy that reveals your motiviation is to justify your beliefs.

Well it was more nuanced than that about what Faucci said, and anyone with any sense could and should have known it was a fluid situation that could change. And, the bigger point was that was said last Feb/March and was revised many times and a long, long time ago and that didn't change the minds of the die hards. Using what was said that long ago is an excuse and justification for people who just want to do what they want to do regardless of the risks to others.
And Fauci lied to manipulate people so you can understand why people would question him going forward.

Reactions: Jim in Scranton
Well put. I don't know why it's so hard for so many. It would help if w had some leadership right now to present a united front and try to convince people that the next 30-45 days are critical to avoiding an explosion of cases before the vaccine starts being administered, and we can all suck it up for that much time to protect life and get beyond this...but that's not going to happen because the leader of one tribe says otherwise.

I’d hope people wouldn’t be dumb enough to do something just because a national leader said so (no matter what side they’re on). You have to think for yourself. If you think someone standing up and talking at everyone to abide by the regulations will change things, well...I’ve got oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.

Reactions: Big Blue
But we mask up in public. Like, all of us. So if the masks stop the spread of the virus, then there's no way we're endangering anyone outside our family.

#Science
That's ridiculously childish. You will never know if anyone at your gathering was infected and went out into the world and infected someone else who passed it in the grocery store to someone who went home and gave it to their mother who died--for example. One of the biggest mass spreaders right now are large family gatherings just like the one you are so proud of.

Do you want to stop this virus? Than you lock people down. And I’m not talking about no bullshit half assed lockdown like the last time. You lock people in their homes and they don’t come out for 8 weeks. Emergency personnel only. No more virus...not for awhile at least. Now thousands of people would die of natural causes. Thousands more would die from suicide. But the virus would be gone. So you see, the question here has never been about science. We all know there is a viral pandemic going on. The question is about the risk we are willing to accept and the amount of government influence we are willing to allow for a virus with a less than 1% death rate. It’s philosophical not scientific.

This sounds great in theory, but is impossible in practice. It would spread among the emergency personnel. It would spread among those who refuse to comply with the lockdown. It would spread among the government officials implementing such a lockdown who ignore their own restrictions. Then as soon as the lockdown is lifted, the spread cranks right back up. The best approach is to put limited restrictions in place (I.e. masking and social distancing in public) and live with the reality that some will still get sick and die while we wait for vaccines and more effective treatments.

Very glad everyone is well. Sincerely.

I’m treating pt’s in a tent here. That’s right in a damn tent that’s propped up outside my hospital. It’s pretty cold in there and we’re close to not having enough workers to serve everyone that needs it. Yesterday I had 13 pts waiting to transfer to our hospital and 50 pts bedded in the ER (because the tent is full). Please keep your mind open to the idea that just because your reunion went well to date, everyone’s may not have. If I misunderstood your meaning I apologize.
I am sorry people like OP have made your life so much harder.

Reactions: aub34

So pretty much is we ban ghey sects, soccer will be gone within 2 years?

I would love to hear more people’s opinions on this matter.

what is the balance of giving up your personal safety vs giving up your personal liberties?

Should it be an individual decision?
One person's freedom's should never take away the freedom's of another. There's a difference between being free and doing what's morally right.

My liberty means that I can give OP shit for bragging about his Thanksgiving. I'm a pretty conservative guy. In fact, I've become more conservative since the pandemic. That said, the point of his thread wasn't intelligent or informed.

I've worked straight through this pandemic. I go into 100 homes a week. I recently had to revert protocol back to doing only outside services to protect our customers. I have to be extremely cautious because I could be a super spreader. I follow a strict protocol. If anyone in the service industry acts like OP, then alot more people will be affected. I really don't want to shut down again.

I’d hope people wouldn’t be dumb enough to do something just because a national leader said so (no matter what side they’re on). You have to think for yourself. If you think someone standing up and talking at everyone to abide by the regulations will change things, well...I’ve got oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.
Sure. Thinking that the President can't do and say things to guide the public through a public health crisis in a responsible manner is mind boggling. Is that really where we are? Has the bar been lowered that much?

That's ridiculously childish. You will never know if anyone at your gathering was infected and went out into the world and infected someone else who passed it in the grocery store to someone who went home and gave it to their mother who died--for example. One of the biggest mass spreaders right now are large family gatherings just like the one you are so proud of.
So I'm now responsible for OTHER family members' behavior in public? Yeah I don't think so. I gather with friends and family without masks in our private homes. I wear a mask in public around strangers. You really can't ask any more of me than that.

Edit: Well, I suppose technically you can ASK me to do anything.

Fvck all that.
They absolutely lied. Surely this isn't the first time you have heard a government official lie? But just because they lied about it doesn't mean you completely abandon any semblance of reason and that every single other thing they say is a lie. Like with everything else in life, you have to think and evaluate. The basic precautions of masking and social distancing in public are not rocket science.

Reactions: aQuestionableCall
So I'm now responsible for OTHER family members' behavior in public? Yeah I don't think so. I gather with friends and family without masks in our private homes. I wear a mask in public around strangers. You really can't ask any more of me than that.
Sure I can. And I can inform you without hesitation that you are acting like a selfish, uninformed asshole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT