ADVERTISEMENT

Antigenic Sin

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
I was reading about Original Antigenic Sin and how it can be beneficial for subsequent infections. This may be the case for people with natural immunity or for vaccinated people when it comes to reducing the effects of the Omicron strain. I also saw where antigenic sin could be detrimental. Antigenic sin is also know as antigenic imprinting and "refers to the propensity of the body's immune system to preferentially utilize immunological memory based on a previous infection when a second slightly different version of that foreign pathogen is encountered" Basically you are making an antigen for a virus and a similar virus comes along and the antigen can bind the new virus and offer some protection.

A problem may occur if the new virus is so different from the old one that the antigens can't bind. A quote "This led us to hypothesize that early-life imprinting by pandemic strains of influenza virus might increase susceptibility during subsequent pandemics caused by antigenically distinct strains. Original Antigenic Sin-like responses were also problematic during the 2013–2014 influenza season, when H1N1 viruses acquired a mutation in an HA epitope that was the primary target of the Ab response mounted by middle-aged individuals."

It may not be likely, but it is a possibility that the COVID vaccination may make you more likely to get the Omicron or a future strain. That doesn't negate the fact that the vaccination is also much more likely to keep you alive if you contract Delta. The benefit would outweigh the risk by far, but one should remember that there is a risk. It may be very small, but it is there.

"In a later study, the same group showed that OAS could be prevented by the administration of adjuvants with the first or second immunization or by repeated boosting with the secondary immunogen." Is the COVID booster the secondary immunogen?

An interesting article:

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/202/2/335

I was reading about Original Antigenic Sin and how it can be beneficial for subsequent infections. This may be the case for people with natural immunity or for vaccinated people when it comes to reducing the effects of the Omicron strain. I also saw where antigenic sin could be detrimental. Antigenic sin is also know as antigenic imprinting and "refers to the propensity of the body's immune system to preferentially utilize immunological memory based on a previous infection when a second slightly different version of that foreign pathogen is encountered" Basically you are making an antigen for a virus and a similar virus comes along and the antigen can bind the new virus and offer some protection.

A problem may occur if the new virus is so different from the old one that the antigens can't bind. A quote "This led us to hypothesize that early-life imprinting by pandemic strains of influenza virus might increase susceptibility during subsequent pandemics caused by antigenically distinct strains. Original Antigenic Sin-like responses were also problematic during the 2013–2014 influenza season, when H1N1 viruses acquired a mutation in an HA epitope that was the primary target of the Ab response mounted by middle-aged individuals."

It may not be likely, but it is a possibility that the COVID vaccination may make you more likely to get the Omicron or a future strain. That doesn't negate the fact that the vaccination is also much more likely to keep you alive if you contract Delta. The benefit would outweigh the risk by far, but one should remember that there is a risk. It may be very small, but it is there.

"In a later study, the same group showed that OAS could be prevented by the administration of adjuvants with the first or second immunization or by repeated boosting with the secondary immunogen." Is the COVID booster the secondary immunogen?

An interesting article:

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/202/2/335

I've always had some concern that the new vaccines MIGHT induce some autoimmune issues down the road, but I sure hope that doesn't happen.

I'm have a bit more concern that the way we're narrowly targeting only the spike protein, could potentially lead to all kinds of issues, primarily where we are trading a super strong, specific immunological response, for a better overall, general response to the entire family of variants. This could have all kinds of far reaching impacts, but again, I hope that doesn't come to fruition.

Reactions: Auburn93
I've always had some concern that the new vaccines MIGHT induce some autoimmune issues down the road, but I sure hope that doesn't happen.

I'm have a bit more concern that the way we're narrowly targeting only the spike protein, could potentially lead to all kinds of issues, primarily where we are trading a super strong, specific immunological response, for a better overall, general response to the entire family of variants. This could have all kinds of far reaching impacts, but again, I hope that doesn't come to fruition.
I agree with you on that.

Delta's virulence came from a N-protein mutation and that allowed it to have higher viral loads. Not sure what Omicron did to up viral load, but it's even higher. It's just not as systemic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT