An old gun owners thoughts on helping to prevent gun violence

Tigger444a

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2008
Gun control is one thing but the real causes are multi-faceted and include:

1. Untreated mental illness and lack of access to mental health care
2. Proliferation of drugs and our appetite for drugs
3. The ease by which guns can be illegally obtained regardless of age from a multitude of sources
4. Poverty and the growing inequality of income.
5. Bullying and harassment of some children in school.
6. Absentee fathers and one-parent households

Even if all guns were banned tomorrow, which is never going to happen, the government would never be able to confiscate the guns already out there and they know that so this annual "they're gonna get your guns" theories being pushed by some is not only stupid it's impractical. IMO, the best you could hope for in this present environment might be stricter background checks, longer waiting periods, mental heal background checks, many banning assault rifles (I own one) along with buying back programs, legalization of Mary Jane, and a broad drug treatment program nationwide and not just a pretense program., All this won't totally solve the program but you can bet your ass that it would go a long way to reduce these mass shootings and gun violence. I'm an old guy who has been a hunter and gun owner all my life but when I look at my children and grandchildren, I'm not so stupid as not to realize that this thing has gotten way out of hand and something has to be done to protect our children if nothing else. I'm sure the NRA would disagree unless it was their children or grandchildren or a politician who depends upon NRA election and re-election money to keep his or her job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News