ADVERTISEMENT

After Sleeping On It

AUinHSV

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2015
I have no idea how to feel about this team. On one hand we are 2-3 and on the cusp of a historically bad season, on the other I actually think this team is significantly improved from last year?? I have lived through more disaster seasons than I would've liked (most recently 2008 & 2012), but this team does not feel like those at all, in my opinion. We are talented and at times appear to be a pretty complete team. We pretty much dominated an above average OK team for 3.5 quarters. We are situationally very poor. That has resulted in a lot of the heartbreak so far this season (along with the QB play of course).

I do not say this to try and absolve Hugh of any blame. He deserves a significant amount. Not signing a QB in the offseason, the undisciplined play to start the year, asking his QBs to do far too much at times, execution in crucial spots, he shoulders much of the blame. But I do not get the sense that Hugh is a lost cause already. One bad decision has torpedoed this team. If we signed a portal qb who took care of the ball we are 5-0 and a top 20 team going into Athens this week.

The long term plan when Hugh was hired was for the first year to pretty much be a wash, improve to above average in year 2 then in year 3 take the big step. Am I naive for thinking the big step could still absolutely happen next year? If we can keep the class together and keep the young guys from transferring, our roster next year will be the best it's been in years. The returns from Hugh's first 2 high school classes are clear already. 2023 class he signs Faulk, Lee, Lew, Sylvester Smith, Too Tall, JC Hart, TJ Johnson, Champ, Joiner. A bunch of guys who are contributing and will only improve. The ceiling of the 2024 class is even more obvious. Cam, Malcolm, Amaris, Riddick, Crawford, Harris, Blocton. A lot of our high level talent are very young. I love what I see in the scouting and recruiting department. We seem to be hitting at a very high rate. Sign a stud QB next year and fill a couple holes in the portal and I think we have a chance to be very good.

I am very disappointed in the way this year is unfolding, but I am not ready to give up on Hugh. If the offense was stale, we were uncompetitive, and the class was falling apart it would be a different story. The offense is actually shockingly efficient if we could just keep the ball and get out of our own way. I want to see what we look like with a high end QB and another top 10 class. If we stink it up again next year then we won't have to speculate on Hugh's future.

Bottom line is that Auburn desperately needs Hugh to work out. If he bombs and we start over, we are looking at starting from 0 once again. I totally understand the anger, but let's see if we can win a couple big games down the stretch. I think we are capable of doing just that. This team has a big win in its future as long as they keep their head up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.