ADVERTISEMENT

A few of my own thoughts from the scrimmage

AUwesome

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2004
- Was hoping Thorne would do a bit more than what I saw. He looked great in the 7 on 7's, threw a dart to Perry that he was able to high point and come down with in traffic. Great throw and catch. When he got into the 11 on 11 part (both thud and live), the offense never really seemed to click at all. That said, his arm strength looked better than last year. He's undervalued as a runner as well. Hew seemed frustrated with him a lot after each play. Saw some of the same QB/Coach bad body language that I saw last season.

- The other QBs are just such a mixed bag, it's hard to really separate them. All of them had some great throws, but all of them had some just awful throws. I didn't think Hank's pick was that bad. He hummed it into the endzone with good velocity, the DB just undercut the receiver at the last moment and made a great play on the ball. When it's on target, Geriner throws a pretty ball with great velocity. Not quite sure on where Hank fits in the master plan just yet. My money is on Walker to start next season. He had some moments of greatness out there. Sure, some of it was very rough at times (dare I say, almost too much heat on the ball). Seems to throw off his back foot a bit too.

- Receivers are all as billed. The one "surprise" for me was Cain. He stood out a bit today. Simmons, Cam and Perry are all freaks. This will not be popular, but when it's all said and done, I'm not so sure Simmons and Perry won't ultimately be the best two. Keandre was putting in a ton of work with a trainer in the endzone. Looks like he will be back sooner rather than later. As a group, there were not many true drops out there. Fairweather looks huge now. He made a couple of nice grabs (when the offense needed it the most).

- O-line has me a bit concerned. I am not a fan of our right tackle. Seems a bit soft at times. Hard to tell with this group though given the format of the scrimmage, but it seemed like all of the QBs were under duress quite often. Some of that is on the QBs for not getting the ball out quicker. I think the O-line will be better than last year, but not by much.

- All the RBs look good. Sean was in A-Day MVP form. He's got a burst and some quickness for a man of his size. Wish he could help us some, but there likely won't be enough reps to go around.

- Defensive coaching energy was incredible. They had their unit fired up and were getting after it. I did not focus as much on individual defensive players, but we've got some studs emerging in each of the position groups. Will be fun to watch them get better over the course of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.