ADVERTISEMENT

2 for 2

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
I took my best friend turkey hunting this week and it was his first time ever turkey hunting. We didn't hear any gobbles so I set up and called blind hoping something would show up. Just after 8:30 am, a hen came in from in front of us and two jakes came in behind us and on our right. I was on the left and didn't see them at first but after a tense stare down, they finally walked towards our decoy. I'm a bowhunter so I had us hidden really good and that allowed him to raise his gun with them only 15 yards away. He made a perfect shot and was thrilled to have killed his first turkey.

The next day we went to another farm and didn't hear anything. I told him we would walk to the corner of the property, try to strike up a gobble but if we didn't hear anything we would go back home. I hadn't step foot on this farm in 5 or 6 years so I didn't know where they would be. When we got to the corner, we heard one as far as I can hear one which is 250 to 300 yards with that wind. I cut loud to them with my Scott Cutter and he gobbled. I picked a spot and we set up for the hunt. I don't like to call a lot, I see too many people over calling but every time I'd call, he would cut me off. After 3 or 4 times calling, we could tell he was a lot closer. I went silent and after a few minutes, I heard him gobble around the edge of my property. He was about 100 yards away. I told my friend he's probably going to go down the fire break and come out right there and I pointed in front of us. With in a minute, I saw a head go between two trees about 60 yards in front of us and I said "There he is, get your gun up." My buddy didn't do anything. I said again "Get your gun up" and he did nothing. I finally said "Point your gun at the decoy!" and that got him to get his gun ready. Within seconds, the big gobbler came running in and blew up into full strut right beside the decoy. He spun around and postured and there was about to be one heck of a fight. I could see another long beard had come up as well and he was about to be directly behind the big tom beside the decoy and in the line of my buddy's shot. I didn't want him to kill both of them with one shot because he would be over the limit and you can't do that in GA this year. I clucked on my diaphragm and told him to shoot. As the tom pick his head up, my buddy made a perfect shot killing the tom and missing the second bird. As the second bird ran to our right, a third big tom came in from behind to our left. My buddy said "Can I shoot him?" and I said no, you're tagged out. It all happened so fast, my buddy was ecstatic and amazed. Needless to say, in two hunts and two toms killed, he thinks turkey hunting is easy. I'm not going to tell him any different. 11 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News