ADVERTISEMENT

Weather & roads stuff from Huntsville & Madison....

Archie

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2002
Huntsville, AL
starting with this video from late this afternoon....

Note: it didn't snow ridiculous amounts late today (I may have half an inch to almost an inch where I live in an elevated area....it just happened at the wrong time, few were expecting it, and the roads were cold enough to ice up quickly....

Now, the following has been reported from multiple social media platforms and news stations over the last 2 hours...

- All roads in Madison deemed impassable at 8:58PM tonight by Madison Police....

- Multiple roads closed and/or deemed impassable throughout south Huntsville and other elevated parts of Huntsville; those include (from memory now): Winchester road, Lily Flag road, Mountain Gap road, Todd Mill road, Governor's Drive on both sides of Monte Sano, the road up to Green Mountain, Chapman Road, well, I can't remember them all....about 20 in number...

- Dozens of cars on Cecil Ashburn were abandoned earlier tonight and folks were texting HPD for help; there were reports of some passengers leaving their cars and attempting to walk back down the mountain...don't know if anyone is still on Cecil Ashburn needing assistance this late tonight or not...

- About 20 cars on Green Mountain trying to get back down the mountain and into the city were abandoned a few hours ago; don't know if those car passengers got assistance from HPD or not...surely they didn't attempt to walk down that steep mountain...

- Black ice on I565 headed east and west

- Black ice on Highway 72 east towards Jackson County/Scottsboro....several wrecks on 72...maybe a dozen

- Black ice on Highway 72 West all the way to Athens....

It's amazing what a little unexpected snow and ice will do when it comes at the wrong time (going home traffic) and the roads are already frozen or semi-frozen....

That truck in the photo trying the pass the car that is pulled over spun out as this photo was being made and hit the guard rail....this is about halfway up Green Mountain. It's beautiful up there....and quiet...but this right here is why I never considered living up there. That and having to have a brake job every 5-6 months because of that steep decline....on both sides of the mountain...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News