ADVERTISEMENT

Was Gus Malzahn a QB career killer?

Weagle1492

I'M A FOLLOWER. LOL
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
I have always thought Gus was a bad coach because he always seemed to identify great QB talent but they always regressed under him. I went through every AU QB I could think of that played for him and came out with this list. Curious what the rest of you think. Bo probably never gets drafted if he stays at AU and plays for Gus for 4 years and I think we all (even Bo) know that.

Chris Todd - good season, probably Gus's best job with a QB, I have no idea if he could have been drafted or not or what his talent was this one is a ? for me.

Cam Newton - Superman. An ape could play call for that man and win a national championship, probably the greatest individual college player of all time a walking championship.

Barret Trotter - Very underrated, Gus's first real evidence that he didn't know what he was doing
Clint Mosely - The average dude.

Nick Marshal - SEC champion, Gus actually blew his only chance at a national championship game with a running attack that lacked any creativity whatsoever, but we had a track star at QB and the strongest guy in the country (Jay Proshe) at FB, everyone knew what we were going to do and we did it anyway. Nick was not a good QB by any stretch and I think was drafted as a CB.

Jeremy Johnson - An extremely talented QB who Gus completely ruined. Truly the embodiment of what happens when you trust the wrong guy with your career as a QB. Jeremy has everything it takes to succeed in the NFL, but he didn't because Gus absolutely put the kid in horrible unwinnable situations and then blamed him for his coaching failures and ruined his mental game.

Bo Nix - Gus was in the process of ruining him too, but God had literal other plans and got Bo out of there. Top 12 in the draft.

Notable: Malik Willis - NFL talent that Gus tried to ruin but transferred/"processed" to Liberty under Freeze and is now in the NFL.

correct me or remind me if I'm missing something here, I think Sean White was in there, but Sean wasn't an NFL talent either and got injured so not too much worth mentioning about him.

edit: I missed so many guys LMAO

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News