ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Concert Countdown - Jimmy Page and Robert Plant 1998 (#2)

MetallicAub

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
With drivel season winding down but also in the middle of summer concert season...I wanted to detail the best concerts I have even attended with a top 10 list.

Too long, don't want to read - Page and Plant at Lakewood Ampitheatre, Atlanta in 1998 is #2

Why it is special
Did I see Led Zeppelin this night...No.
But did I see Led Zeppelin that night?
The only negative about this show was that I honestly was too young to truly appreciate what was happening in front of me. 17 year old me likely thought that this was not a one-off event. Of course there will be more opportunities to see Page and Plant together...maybe even a Zeppelin reunion with John Paul Jones at some point in the next 25 years. I did not understand the rarity of what I was witnessing even though I knew the music.

As most of my concerts as a youngster...we were in the lawn and it was a bunch of high school classmates from the school newspaper I worked on. I just remember singing every song and all of us looking at each other when the next Zeppelin hit came on with shock and excitement. There was no setlist.fm at this time so there was no way to cheat or see what they were playing, we had no idea what we were about hear live. I cannot confirm this but we all insist that Jimmy Page played like the first 8 notes of Stairway and the entire crowd kind of did a massive pause while it was happening only to have him switch over to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. This very well could be my mind playing tricks on me but I will die on the hill that this happened.

The amount of money I would now pay for a Zeppelin reunion show is embarrassing...I have such fond memories of this night. It was a Friday and my last day of my junior year of high school. To see something so special at such a young age really did partially shape my feelings on live music. Go see the legends when you can...you never know how many chances you have to witness greatness in front of you.

Highlights
The Wanton Song is one of my absolute favorite Zeppelin songs and it is a banger as the opener!!!!!!!!
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is another favorite
No Quarter
Heartbreaker
Rock and Roll
Going to California!!!!!
Gallows Pole

Setlist
  1. The Wanton Song
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
    Play Video
  2. Bring It On Home
    (Willie Dixon cover)
    Play Video
  3. Heartbreaker
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
    Play Video
  4. Ramble On
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
    Play Video
  5. Walking Into Clarksdale
  6. No Quarter
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
  7. Burning Up
  8. Going to California
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
  9. Tangerine
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
  10. Gallows Pole
    ([traditional] cover)
  11. When I Was a Child
  12. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
    (Joan Baez cover)
  13. How Many More Times
    (Led Zeppelin cover) (Includes snippet of That's The Way)
  14. Most High
  15. Whole Lotta Love
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
  16. Encore:
  17. Thank You
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
  18. Rock and Roll
    (Led Zeppelin cover)
Odd Memory
I went to this show with a bunch of folks I knew from High School but not my true core group of friends. I invited them to it but the response I got was essentially "No one wants to go see one of your heavy metal shows." I didn't push at all and I guess I did not explain who I was seeing either. So after this incredible evening in Atlanta, 96Rock played the setlist in order after the show. Not the live songs but from Zeppelin albums and the Walking into Clarksdale album this tour was based on. The next day when I was hanging out with those same friends who didn't like my metal music, I was harshly questioned how I did not effectively explain to them this was Led Zeppelin and they had listened to the some of the songs on the radio the previous night :cool:

Supporting Acts
Lili Haydn

Why it should be higher
For about 20 years of my life this was the best show I had ever attended...only one has truly been able to replace it and that one will likely never be repeated again.

Why it should be lower
It was at the top at one point and it took a once in a lifetime experience to bump it out.

Monday I will post my #1 Show

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News