ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: Preseason '22 (8-25-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

We're back for another season!

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

PREDICTION:
Hope springs eternal on the Plains this time of year and this August is no different. Keep choppin' that wood. Find a way to get better today.

BRYAN HARSIN HAS ARRIVED!

Andy asks about practice. "It was good. This is our helmet practice. It's all situations. It's all ... thinking about two-minutes situations, four-minute situations, all the stuff that comes up in a game. This week ... is when we get into scouts. We had great looks. We had our dress rehearsal for all those things."

Not Andy asks about changes in practice. He said there have been more team activities this offseason.

Andy interjects to ask of Harsin won the go-kart race. "I think I did," Harsin said. GUFFAWS ALL AROUND.

"They're ready to go hit somebody else."

Andy asks about the team captains. We'll break this up for each guy.

ON OWEN: "Owen exemplifies what it means to be a leader on this team. He sets the example, he holds guys accountable."

ON JSS: "He chose to come back because he has unfinished business."

ON DERICK: "He's our energy guy. He knows his best football is head of him." (Harsin then mentioned Eku Leota.)

"All three of those guys do a great job every single day."

Not Andy says leaders are showing out right now. That wasn't a question and Harsin double-clutches because he wants to answer questions. Harsin then rambles on about leadership and players being authentic. "Some guys love football, they love what football brings. Then you have some guys who ... this is what their life really is. These guys want to be here, they want to be part of this team."

***COMMERCIAL BREAK***

They're giving away an Aubie serving tray. Jim is the winner! Harsin is mildly happy for the guy. "We were just sitting together; you'd think I'd have rigged it."

Now there are some nuts, a hat and a gift certificate to Baumhauer's.

Andy asks if Harsin would like to talk about quarterbacks. "We're going to have one." GUFFAWS ALL AROUND.

On TEEJ: "JHe's done a good job of really udnerstanding what we're doing."

On Robby: "I like where he's at. It took a little more time, but he hadn't worked in the system. He really has played well the last couple weeks of camp."

On Zach: "He didn't have all the reps in the spring. He had a few things during the summer that kept him out for a certain amount of time."

"All those guys know where we are. We've had to conversations with our players. We'll see where we are at the end of this week."

Email question from Julie/Juli from Arizona. She's asking about resting starters against Mercer or SJSU. "No, that's a sign of disrespect to answer that question right now. You've got to go in the arena on Saturday and play the game. The last thing you need to do as a competitor is listen to what everybody else says. If we're thinking about getting our second string in the game ... that's not the mindset I want for this team."

Harsin says only coaches call off the dogs. (??) Players are supposed to play three hours and 42 minutes.

Andy notes that Mercer is playing Morehead State this weekend, which may give the Tigers an advantage. "For us, it really has to be a 1-0 mentality. We need to stay hungry no matter who we're playing. There's a standard of how you play."

***COMMERCIAL BREAK***

Josh on Bookface asks about the OL. "We've got some guys who are veteran players and I like what I've seen from them." Says they've been focusing on the run game.

"We've mixed up a few different guys in the lineup each day. We're getting a little different mix in there every day."

"The D-line has raised their level of play. Those two guys have done a good job of raising their ... play."

Andy asks about wideouts, says they have more guys now. "I feel strong about the wide receiver position. Young guys ... they don't know what they don't know. They go hard. (Hilliard) has that group ... they gravitate to him. I've seen a transition in that group. That group is better than it's been."

Andy asks how many they want to use. Harsin says 4-6 players should be "dialed."

"Those new additions have really helped step up the level of play."

Not Andy asks about Nick Brahms and how he's battling. I don't understand why this is so hush-hush. "He chose to come back. He's experienced, he's tough. We'll see. We've got to find out where he's at. He's out there coaching the guys up. We'll see what that looks like moving forward."

Andy asks if it's Tate Johnson then. Harsin mentions Tate, Council, Avery Jernigan and Jalil Irvin.

"All our guards and centers can play guard and center. Your tackles don't move inside."

"I've seen all those guys operate at center. They know the calls."

Gene or Jean asks via Bookface about special teams. Harsin thinks special teams are very important, as you'd expect. "Coach Roc ... has done a fantastic job with that group. I feel like we have more buy-in with our special-teams players. It's another chance, with 30 to 35 plays in a game, to help our team win. I feel like we're executing better in the special-teams area."

He lauds Anders for coming back from the knee injury.

"Alex McPherson can boom it."

"We have a chance to win the field-position battle."

***COMMERCIAL BREAK***

We've got OWEN and DERICK on the mic. Two studs.

Hall says he's trying to lead by example. I'd follow him because he's an extremely cool dude.

Pap says he appreciates his teammates for believing in him.

Not Andy asks about their leadership traits.

Pap says consistency.

Derick says consistency, too.

Andy asks about Pap replacing Zakoby with the younger guys. Pap says Cam Riley is a freak athlete. Pap says Steiner is a smart guy, directs traffic. He mentions Tisdol and Asante. "We've got a lot of guys who are going to be able to help us."

Not Andy asks about the DL being good overall, sharpening the OL. "Depth is huge. Games are won and lost up front."

Andy asks about Eku Leota. "He caught on pretty quick (last year) ... he's come a long way ... just knowing what you've got to do."

Not Andy asks about COACH SCHMED, who is an extremely cool dude. Believe me on that. "It was a very smooth transition," Pap says.

Andy asks about the new DLs. "He's been nothing but tremedous," Hall says of M'Ba. "He's great," Hall says of Jayson Jones. Derick also says great things about Harris and Wooden.

Not Andy asks about the biggest challenge younger players face.

Pap says time management. "It's easier in high school. You're treated like a man when you come to college."

Derick. "Consistency is huge. When you get to this level ... you have a lot of guys who are really good. It doesn't come easy."

Not Andy asks about the Top Gun short featuring Coach Harsin. "It was fun. It was a good thing," Pap says.

Not Andy asks which movie scene the defensive guys would remake. "I'm not 100 percent sure on that."

Awful question in this format -- way too complicated to drop on someone with no warning.

Andy asks about the Auburn Family at JSH. "Auburn has the best fans in the country by far," Derick says. "Auburn fans are very consistent. They're going to be there every game. Auburn is a huge family. That's why I came back -- this place means so much to me."

***COMMERCIAL BREAK***

MORE GIFTS. This gift bag has nuts, honey, a shirt. Amazing. It goes to JEN L. What a legend. Great job, Jen. I love the name Jen. If I was a girl and my mom named me Jennifer, I'd go by Jen.

We now have JOHN SAMUEL SHENKER on the mic.

Not Andy asks about the number change from 47 to 25. "If it makes me look faster, I'll take it. (GUFFAWS). That's number I'd had before. I asked if I could get it. I'm happy to wear it."

Andy asks if JSS ever thought about not coming back. He said it was "hit or miss" during the season, but he made the decision around the time of the Iron Bowl to come back for 2022.

Not Andy asks about the baseball team. "It was awesome to watch those guys ... to see their entire season unfold the way it did was awesome."

Andy asks about JSS getting married. He notes that five players are married. "There's some love going around." GUFFAWS

Not Andy asks about the talent at tight end. "I'd say it's the most we've ever had."

Andy asks about what it means to be a team captain. "They look to you. If they see me slacking ... then they'll slack. You can't have that."

Andy asks about how he's improved most. "I'd say route-running. It's a huge emphasis."

***COMMERCIAL BREAK***

Ron wins the final gift, a bucket hat. Looks pretty cool as long as it's not on Not Andy's head.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News