ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: Mercer '22 (9-1-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

We're back for another season!

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

PREDICTION:
They're ready to hit someone else. Mercer is well-coached. Love the way they've responded to a tough camp. We believe in TJ and Robby and Zach for that matter. Can't wait to see Jordan-Hare Stadium at night Saturday. Also, the Jaybotron sure is beautiful, huh?

(j/k about the Jaybotron.)

FIRST UP IS BRENT CROUCH, VOLLEYBALL CZAR.

BRYAN HARSIN IS HERE!

Andy says this week drags. GUFFAWS ALL AROUND. "I know they're tired of practicing. They want to go play. It's time to go play college football."

Not Andy asks about BH's game-time routine. Harsin says they eat breakfast together, have a walk-through, Harsin then works out or runs, relaxes a bit, then goes back through the game plan, catches up with family, then some recruiting before the final walk-through. "There's really not a lot to do with the guys (on Friday night) ... aside from staying focused for the game. We get our best rest on Friday nights."

Andy asks more about preparation. Harsin says they work on a message each week. "Very rarely do you need to say things (before the game) ... I just want them to run on the field and play. I just play that by ear a little bit. If we prepared properly, that's pay day for our players."

Andy affirms that Auburn is planning to whoop Mercer this weekend. Harsin lustily agrees.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

HERB The Legend is in the house. He wants to know if Harsin has changed his philosophy at all since the college world has changed since July 1, 2021? "I love learning. We have a larger staff than we had before. And the footprint for recruiting. It's about getting everybody to be focused on the task at hand. You learn a lot along the way about how your people operate. Sometimes what worked for you at one place doesn't work for another. What do we, at Auburn, need to do to be success?"

He says recruiting has "really picked up." No evidence offered.

BUSTER is in the house. He wants to ask about how Mercer's linemen are smaller and what does that mean for Auburn. "In this first game ... it doesn't matter who we're playing. For us, it's really about us. You've got to rotate guys the way you're going to rotate them throughout the year. Right now, we'll get our guys in and get them out. We'll have a few different groups play on the defensive line. We'll see who's playing well and maybe let them play a little more."

Andy notes that Mercer won last week. "It's hard to score 63 points against air for some teams. They believe in what they're doing. They play hard for four quarters."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SANDY H. from Auburn (male) is in the house. He used to live in Denver. He used to travel to Boise from time to time. He name-drops a restaurant. Harsin knows of it. Andy asks what it's known for. "Actually, beer."

GUFFAWS ALL AROUND

That's all Sandy wanted to discuss. I didn't hear a question. Not Andy gave Sandy four tickets to the game for that. HE DIDN'T EVEN ASK A REAL QUESTION, NOT ANDY!!!!

Not Andy notes that Finley will be on the show later. Coach, just talk about Teej. "He's going to operate and put us in the right position to make plays and make sure we're in position to score points Saturday."

Andy laughs about how Harsin noted Monday that Auburn players can improve year to year. No question. "I get to see guys develop and improve. Everything we do is on film. You see the progression. I'm a big believer in people."

JULIE/JULI is in the house and she wants to know how the newcomers have merged with the returning players."You have new players, but they're great people. One guy that really stood out ... is Keionte Scott." (He also name drops Alston, Asante, Bragg, Jayson Jones.) Harsin is a fan of his DL, guys. "I love Jayson. I think he's a fantastic person; I love the way he works."

Harsin ends his appearance with an enthusiastic WAR EAGLE.

COMMERCIAL BREAK.

TJ FINLEY is on the mic.

Not Andy wants to know about "all the work you've put it" ahead of this season. "The media does a great job of letting me know what I need to work on."

GUFFAWS ALL AROUND

"Win the next four hours. I implemented that into my summer regimen."

Andy asks about how this is a different situation for him. Teej says he wants mentally prepared to be the starter to open the 2021 season. He's more confident now.

Not Andy notes that Teej is from Ponchatoula HS. No question. "It's mainly known for academics. It allowed me to get a lot of credits for going into LSU." (He enrolled early at LSU.)

Andy wants to talk about the wise receivers. No question. "They put in the work day in and day out." He says all the receivers, including walk-ons, were out there throughout the summer for voluntaries. Sounds like that didn't happen ahead of the 2021 season.

Not Andy asks about Tate Johnson. "Tate is an amazing guy. He's an amazing center. I take him to lunch here and there, give him some food."

Andy thought that was funny. Sporadic Guffaws In Sections.

Andy asks about if Teej is ready to play: "It's itching that tomorrow isn't Saturday. I'm enjoying the process right now; I won't play football forever."

Andy asks about changes with COACH KEYS. "He had input a lot last year, as well. It's all the same terminology."

KELVIN/CALVIN is in the house. He wants to know about how Finley galvanizes the team to believe in him. "That goes with knowing your stuff, guys seeing you put in the work day in and day out, busting your butt each and every day. It's really about respect."

Not Andy asks what Teej would like to do after football. He says a youth leadership group. "Other than that, I honestly don't know. I hope football lasts for me for a long time."

Teej concludes with a steely WAR EAGLE.

BE GOOD. BE YOU.

--30--

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News