ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: Arkansas Week '21 (10-13-21)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

Should be a dandy.

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

JAY'S STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS STATEMENT ON ARKANSAS:
Lots of nice things to be said about Arkansas, which is a generally nice place with nice people and a nice stadium. I like Arkansas as a destination. I also like Kendal Briles. I favored him as Auburn's offensive coordinator before Chip Lindsey was hired, but Gus decided Kendal was too young (which is kinda true) and that's when Art Briles was still persona non grata. I once saw a guy use his hands and gnaw on a 2.5-pound ribeye at Doe's Eat Place — and he wasn't doing it for a stunt.

GREGG WILLIAMS, master of equestrian, is up first.

Auburn beat Georgia 13-7 last weekend to open the season. The gals are at Oklahoma State this coming weekend.

WILL FRIEND, the Tigers' offensive line coach, is up now. He's from Philadelphia, Miss., but he went to Alabama.

6:17 — Andy asks about having the same group this season. "Offensive line is such a repetition position, doing it over and over again. It ought to become like they're used to it now. We're starting to see a little bit of that."

6:18 — Not Andy asks about how things have changed from a coaching perspective. "You're still trying to find guys who ... love football, who are competitors, who love to compete ... those are the guys who are usually going to be successful. That hasn't changed. Size is a factor now. It's different now. Not a whole lot has changed."

6:19 — Andy asks about Arkansas. "They play as hard as anybody in the conference. They can run and they will strike you. Really impressive linebacker corps."

6:20 — Not Andy asks about how halftime adjustments are made. "There's nothing you're going to figure in 15 minutes that you couldn't figure out in the seven days you had leading up to the game. Feedback ... and being on the same page is how you make adjustments. A lot of times the adjustments the fans think are happening is just some guys playing better. If you're multiple enough, you'll have things you can adjust to."

6:22 — Andy asks about how the team handles visiting stadia and the loud fans. "That's the biggest thing — the communication. You can be on the moon playing and if guys are ready, they'll be OK. The focus of a player will show up ... more than anything else. It's always good to have more mature guys, older guys, because they stay focused. That's why it's hard to win on the road in this league."

6:23 — Andy asks if any particular player (HMMMMM, WHO COULD THAT BE?) who is more important along the offensive front. "The center ... he's connected to the front side and the back side."

6:24 — Not Andy asks about how things are different for him as a coach rather than a player. "I'm a worry-wart type guy as a coach, but I don't think I was like that as a player."

BO NIX is up next. You may know him as the Tigers' quarterback.

6:29 — Andy asks about how Bo processes the UGA loss. "You take a second to evaluate the things you did well ... and the things you need to fix and correct. With a team like Georgia ... it's important that you make those big plays when you have the opportunity."

6:30 — "We have to treat everyone like it's Championship Week."

6:30 — Andy asks about the crazy TD play to Tyler Fromm against LSU. "We finally got the moment to run it. We set a rub screen and got an out route for Tyler. I just reacted to it. I made that last guy miss ... I didn't see the ending, but I heard everybody go crazy."

6:31 — Not Andy asks about the drops. "It's important to have a short-term memory. I never hold anything against them. The last thing you want is for that to take them out of the game (mentally)."

6:33 — Andy asks about tight ends. "When the play is broken down, they do a good job with their scramble rules. That position ... they're doing a good job with their roles. They know it's bigger than it has been."

6:34 — Not Andy asks about Bo's game-day routine. Bo doesn't have superstitions. "Once I get to the stadium, it's routine with how I walk the field and how I get ready. I do like to have the same routine."

6:35 — Andy asks about being on the road. "On the road, I like to get the ball (game) going ... and not sit around all day. At 11 (o'clock), it's rise and shine."

COACH BRYAN HARSIN IS UP. Here we go.

6:39 — Andy asks about practice. "It's been good. Today went well. The things we do well in practice, we have to carry that over into the game."

6:40 — Not Andy asks about how they get over the UGA loss. IT'S A NEW DAY. "Every sing week, every game, we're 1-0. We have to find a way to win."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:41 — Not Andy follows up by asking if the team gets tighter after a loss. "We're trying to focus on our standard of how we like to play. It's more of a game against yourself every week — how do you get better? How do you improve? The reality of it is ... you have to focus on your standard and how you're going to pursue that throughout the season. It doesn't matter who you play ... it goes back to the level and standard that you're going to play at."

6:45 — Not Andy asks about getting ready for this road game. "We've had a chance to be on the road. To me, I've never felt like there's anything you need to overthink when you go on the road. We travel in style. We have a plan. We got off the plane. We get to the hotel. Everything is set up. When the meetings are over on Friday night, get to bed, visualize. When I was at Boise, we were all over the place — different days and different times. Just get yourself ready to play and go out there and do your best for three and a half hours. I think being on the road is fun. You have all those people against you."

6:48 — Andy asks about Arkansas' offense: "Everybody talks about tempo; they actually play fast. Tehir entire team has a ... blue-collar mindset. (@Docdumpsta) Their offense can go."

6:49 — Not Andy asks about fitness and depth. "It's really about toughness. It's mental toughness. As a competitor, why would you want to come off the field. If you're feeling it, they're feeling it."

6:50 — Andy asks about the Arkansas defense. "They have a lot of guys ... it feels like they have 14, 15 guys on the field. They get guys down in the box, get safeties down in the box. They play physical from the back end on down."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

6:53 — Andy notes that Arkansas is hungry, too. "You score 51 points and don't win the game? That's disappointing. They've played some really good teams and played some really good football. We know Arkansas is a really good team, but we really want to win. Our guys will be working forward to it. They're excited to get back on the field."

6:55 — Not Andy asks about the Tigers' run game. "It's always about players. There are a lot of similar schemes. Can you move a double team? Can you win at tackle in a 1 on 1? There's a strategy to it, but there's always the component of going out there and whooping somebody. Scheme is about timing. When you call the plays, the situations ... as a play-caller, you (must) know the best call and the best time (to use it)."

6:57 — Andy asks about if this means more because an off week is on the far side of this game. "You want to win! That win will springboard us into the off week."

6:58 — Not Andy asks about keys to the game. "Start fast. Be the team with the most energy, be more excited to play and then play four quarters of football. Be physical the whole game."

Harsin offers an energetic WAR EAGLE to finish it.

BE GOOD. BE YOU.

--30--

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News